Mac Mail - incoming

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
A strange thing has happened this morning. I receive a daily report which I print. This mornings report has printed so small that I can hardly read it and yet when I go back to Fridays it prints ok. I have checked with the sender and he has not changed format.

I have tried printing 200% but it doesn't reformat and so some of the message does not print.

Is there a solution?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Very difficult for us to even guess what the problem could be since we do not have access to that report.

The only thing I can suggest is wait until you receive the next report and if it's the same, then begin to troubleshoot it. If things return to normal, chalk it up to a one time glitch.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
Thank you. Same today. Can you suggest where to look to resolve it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You should look in the different printed documents page setup/layout/printer settings and compare any differences.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Mark

I'm coming into this rather late, but I wonder if you can help me better understand the situation?

First off, in what format does the report come? - eg, PDF, Word doc(x), Pages, Excell, JPEG (unlikely I agree), Web Archive or some other format related to the nature & content of the personal document. That seems a reasonable starting point.

I accept that all was fine before and then suddenly changed. Could it be the format?

And have you deliberately or inadvertently made any changes/additions to your Mac? I admit I'm struggling a bit.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Ian,
It comes as a page, probably written on Outlook or similar. I checked with sender and he has changed nothing. I have not changed anything.
I haven't made any changes to my Mac and previous reports still print as before.

Really odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@MarkWebb
Hi Mark, I'm going to suggest a really far out possible solution to overcome a similar problem we had a few weeks ago. The letter-size documents printed out the size of a postage stamp.

Such pages had been printing out normally and as expected previously but suddenly change for no apparent reason.

In our case we were using a Canon wireless MX 922, and what I did was add a new printer, but with a change from normal setup.

This is an example... When adding the new printer, the OS wii finds and suggests using the Canon MX 922. Don't select or use it!!

Look instead for an option to select and use something like Canon MX 920 series and then select the appropriate driver.

Then when you go to print, select the new printer with the MX 920 series name, or what ever name your new "general" printer will be, and see if your document doesn't print properly.

I guess there's also a chance that the goofy printing document you received is somehow corrupt and maybe should be sent again.

I never did find the reason for the goofy small postage stamp type printing, but everything seems to be working normally now.

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks Patrick, will give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks Patrick, will give it a try.

BTW: just for the record, when setting up the printer using the Cannon series name and the appropriate Driver software, Not the actual Canon printer model name, we ended up with more printer options such as: black-and-white, Grayscale, Fast Printing, Super Good printing, and maybe a few other additional Printer Option etc.

From what I discovered, it seems that Canon is not alone and the same setup can work with other printers.

It seems that Apple's default method is to make the printer set-up easy, but not all printer/scanner features for the printer units may be supported.

Of course, your printer and set-up may be different.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For your info Patrick....

Canon drivers are installed by series, not the specific Printer model. For example: Drivers for the Canon Pixma TR8520 are installed as TR8500 series and apply to all printers in that series which may date from 2017 to the present.

Other printer manufacturers such as HP, sometimes install a specific driver for the printer model. I believe Epson does likewise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For your info Patrick....

Thanks for your note and info Charlie, but I can certainly confirm and say that was definitely NOT the case with either of our 2011 iMacs, (Mavericks And El Capitan) And our wireless Canon MX 922 printer.

The default printer setup was definitely from a suggested Specific Model name and number and NOT by general model number SERIES Number as I mentioned.

I guess your experience has been different, And maybe it's also different with other various different Canon printer models, but not in our case.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.