Mac mail - gmail archiving

Reaction score
On my one MacBook Air.. Mid 2013 -- OS X ElCapitan Mail 9.3

For some reason on some of my email addresses, under Archiving has been saving emails thus both INBOX and on the Macbook under Archiving.

Now I have several email accounts. Old ones in Pop and newer ones in IMAP not by choice. I guess I am old school and favor POP.

I go into Settings, Pop and IMAP and look for an Auto Expunge or similar and I am not finding anything to this affect.

Explain to me, step by step, how to stop the Archiving on my MacBook air. As of now if I delete the email in Archive it deletes it in my INBOX as well.

==========

In addition there a simple way to change my IMAP emails to POP without deleting them and starting over on Mac Mail.

=========+

Mac Mail is a bit quirky at times. Is there a stand alone program that works like Mac Mail in being able to "harbor" all my email addresses and hit get mail and they all upload to the proper INBOX, that is less quirky and works.

Thank You

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open your Mail app and select Preferences, then select Accounts. Click on Gmail IMAP, remove the check from the box that says "enable this account". Close Mail and open it again. Now you can remove those unwanted mailboxes. Also make sure that your Gmail POP account is enabled. In other words, the check should be there in the box that says "enable this account".

There are many alternative programs to Mac Mail, however, in my opinion none of them are worth the extra money. Mac Mail works well but you do have to understand how to use it and setup options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.