Mac Mail Auto delete Trash email from the "On my Mac" trash mailbox

Reaction score
You can you preferences to delete trash one day old, etc from your trash mailbox by account.

How do you set a preference to delete old email trash from the trash "On my Mac" mailbox?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi rim45 and welcome again.

I'm having a slight difficulty understanding your question, but taking a guess - you can arrange to delete the Trash folder in the following way:

Whilst in Mail > Go into Mail Preferences (Shortcut is Command plus comma) > Click on the Account in question > Mailbox Behaviours > Under "Trash Mailbox" you will see "Erase deleted messages" > Click on the exposure triangles which give a number of Options as per my screenshot: "Never", "After One day" "After one Week", "After one month", "When Quitting Mail". You can do this for each account.

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 11.36.32 pm?.png

Hope that's what you were after?

Ian

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, however, the Trash Mailbox, for ON MY MAC is not tied to a particular account.

So deleted emails in that mailbox there is no after day option.

Not sure how I am getting trash in that mailbox.

Thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Under On My Mac are a list of Mailboxes and they have to be linked to an email account or several accounts - and as you say, your are getting Trash Into the Trash Mailbox which appears to serve all accounts.. You are doing this - it doesn't do it by itself. Your list of Trash Mailboxes looks like this:

Screenshot 2020-05-27 at 12.13.07 am??.png

What you asked was how to empty the Trash Box - this can be manually or a daily, weekly, monthly basis or when Quitting mail, as I showed you.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.