Mac mail app won't open

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to the forum and hoping someone can help.

My mac mail app now hangs instantly it is opened. The app doesn't appear on the screen at all. I need to right click the icon and force quit. The problem started a few days ago when I was working in mail and it hung. I had to force quit and since then it won't even open. Have googled for fixes but to no avail so far.

All help appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

And this is on a what running which operating system?

Have you tried Recovery Mode and Repair Disk? Next suggestions run repair Permissions in Disk Utility, and then shut down, unplug from mains for five minutes, plug back in and boot up. Keep us posted?

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi. I have an iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) using OSX Yosemite. Version is 10.10.2. I tried Repair permissions previously but to no avail. Will have a go with Recovery Mode and Repar Disk now and report back.

OP
L
Reaction score
OK. Have now tried Recover Mode and Repair Disk but no difference. I'm not very technical so here are the steps I took in case I did something incorrectly. I restarted and pressed the apple key and R as the grey screen came on, seelcted Disk Utility, then checked all 3 disks showing there. Macintosh HD needed repair and this completed successfully. Then restarted but Mail app still shows as not responding when right click on icon. No mailboxes etc come up on the screen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There have been reported problems with Mail and Yosemite. What I suggest is to download the combined Yosemite 10.10.2 update and install it over the top of your current system. Hopefully that will correct the mail error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I wonder. OP did you do a simple upgrade from Snow Leopard OS X.6 or whatever was on your iMac?

Administrator chscag we seem to get more and more of these type of problems from folk who have jumped from Snow Leopard, in particular, to Yosemite via the upgrade route. Personally think jumping three or four operating system via upgrade, rather than format and install, is begging for problems.

Remember the good old days when we grabbed the newest release DVD in our hot little hands, popped it in and always went the erase and clean install way?

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi. Have downloaded Yosemite 10.10.2 combo and installed over the top of current system. No change to Mail app issue.

Yes, I did jump some upgrades. Not sure what I upgraded from, think it was the one before Mavericks.

More suggestions please!!

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.