Mac Mail App Opens Itself Randomly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021, 256GB 16GB memory. MBA M1 2020 256GB, 8GB memory.
My Mac Mail App opens itself randomly in split screen view. It started a few weeks ago and happens maybe 2 or 3 times per week. I did a Google search tonight and found the following Mac Mail App Opens Itself Randomly, Fix - macReports I've not tried any of the suggested solutions yet as there are comments on there saying that the suggestions haven't worked. So I thought I'd ask on here before I do anything. has anyone on here had this problem and/or have you got a solution? Thank you.

(I'm running a 21.5" iMac Late 2012, 8GB Ram, 1TB Storage, Mac OS Mojave Version 10.14.6)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Now why won't my reply Post???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It started a few weeks ago and happens maybe 2 or 3 times per week.

Can you think of anything you might have added or changed just before the problem started???

I assume it had been working properly before that time and after any recent software update???

From the article and the users comments, it sounds like Apple has a bit of a problem, but that leaves the question as to why isn't it happening for everybody???

EDIT:
Finally, the post worked, but only after I had deleted the last line, and it didn't have any naughty words.
If I add it here as an example, the post does not work. Strange and weird...

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the missing.deleted line that causes the post above not to post. How to put it into quotes here.

The mystery continues... and I assume all your Mail/OS Preferences/option settings are set correctly...

EDIT:
I'll leave the reason as a mystery for the Admins to sort out!!!

- Patrick
======

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Patrick. The only thing I've updated are the usual updates that come from Apple. Can't think of anything else. You have made a good point in 'why isn't it happening for everybody?' Could it be a Mojave problem? I wonder if it would not occur if I updated to Catalina?. Catalina has now been available for 6 months so any teething problems should be sorted??? I don't use anything with 32-bit apps so not a problem for me in that respect. Thank you

This is the missing.deleted line that causes the post above not to post. How to put it into quotes here.

EDIT:
I'll leave the reason as a mystery for the Admins to sort out!!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
My Mac Mail App opens itself randomly in split screen view. It started a few weeks ago and happens maybe 2 or 3 times per week. I did a Google search tonight and found the following Mac Mail App Opens Itself Randomly, Fix - macReports I've not tried any of the suggested solutions yet as there are comments on there saying that the suggestions haven't worked. So I thought I'd ask on here before I do anything. has anyone on here had this problem and/or have you got a solution?

I've never heard of this problem before. (And I hear from literally thousands of Mac users regularly.)

I just looked at the article that you cited. Why are you hesitating to try the things that the article suggests trying? Not a single one of them is hard, or not easily reversible, or potentially damaging. Give them all a try and then let us know if none of them work.

Some research shows that Google Calendar is frequently blamed:
Solution for those who have the Mail app randomly open a window. : MacOS

Also consistent is that no one seems to be having the problem in any Mac OS version other than Mojave. So, if nothing else seems to work, and if it's a viable option, you may want to upgrade to Catalina.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never heard of this problem before. (And I hear from literally thousands of Mac users regularly.)

I just looked at the article that you cited. Why are you hesitating to try the things that the article suggests trying? Not a single one of them is hard, or not easily reversible, or potentially damaging. Give them all a try and then let us know if none of them work.

Some research shows that Google Calendar is frequently blamed:
Solution for those who have the Mail app randomly open a window. : MacOS

Also consistent is that no one seems to be having the problem in any Mac OS version other than Mojave. So, if nothing else seems to work, and if it's a viable option, you may want to upgrade to Catalina.

Hi Randy. I will try the suggestions from the article and if no joy I'll update to Catalina. However, to answer your question on why I've not already tried, it is because I value and respect the knowledge and opinions of people on mac-forums.com as they've been extremely helpful to me in the past so I prefer to look for answers here before going off on a tangent elsewhere :app:

Reaction score
...to answer your question on why I've not already tried, it is because I value and respect the knowledge and opinions of people on mac-forums.com as they've been extremely helpful to me in the past so I prefer to look for answers here before going off on a tangent elsewhere :app:

Thank you for your faith in us!

Makes me wonder why my wife thinks that I'm an absolute idiot...? :D

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

She doesn't really, she probably thinks you're an :a

Anyway, I've checked through all the suggestions in that article of which most were set correctly. Just changed re the 2nd suggestion in 4, changed re suggestion 5 and force quit the Mail app re suggestion 7. I'll give it one month and then I'll report back. Will probably only move to Catalina if it turns out I haven't resolved this problem in Mojave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
****, again I am unable to post my reply.

Maybe an admin or moderator could help me sort out whatever the problem is.

- Patrick
======

- - - Updated - - -

Let's ee if this will post by enclosing it as a quotation.

I will try the suggestions from the article and if no joy I'll update to Catalina.

But maybe try booting up in Safe Boot Mode before you do that and see if it possibly solves your problem.

If so, the problem would be due to some third-party extension that's getting loaded with a normal boot. That could also affect Catalina if the extension is not fully compatible if you were to update to Catalina.

I've checked through all the suggestions in that article of which most were set correctly.[/QUOTE]

Even if the settings were set correctly, Change them into something that isn't correct then change them back to the correct settings. This will force the preferences to be updated correctly, just in case they are slightly corrupt.

- Patrick

- - - Updated - - -

I will try the suggestions from the article and if no joy I'll update to Catalina.

But maybe try booting up in Safe Boot Mode before you do that and see if it possibly solves your problem.

If so, the problem would be due to some third-party extension that's getting loaded with a normal boot. That could also affect Catalina if the extension is not fully compatible if you were to update to Catalina.

I've checked through all the suggestions in that article of which most were set correctly.[/QUOTE]

Even if the settings were set correctly, Change them into something that isn't correct then change them back to the correct settings. This will force the preferences to be updated correctly, just in case they are slightly corrupt.

- Patrick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
****, again I am unable to post my reply.

Maybe an admin or moderator could help me sort out whatever the problem is.

- Patrick
======

- - - Updated - - -

Let's ee if this will post by enclosing it as a quotation.

- - - Updated - - -

- Patrick

OK thanks Patrick.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

I think your wife and mine have been conversing with each other.:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think your wife and mine have been conversing with each other.

Actually Sly, it's a secret conspiracy between wives throughout the world. They know they have us just where they want us but make us believe otherwise! :rofl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually Sly, it's a secret conspiracy between wives throughout the world. They know they have us just where they want us but make us believe otherwise! :rofl

And here's a case of a wife proving it...

91780480_1968106183322624_2873890612073988096_n.jpg

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
I think your wife and mine have been conversing with each other.:)

You are probably right. Have you ever heard two wives speaking with each other? They go on endlessly about how all men are hopeless buffoons.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You are probably right. Have you ever heard two wives speaking with each other? They go on endlessly about how all men are hopeless buffoons.
It might be to our advantage to et them continue to think that.:)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
They go on endlessly about how all men are hopeless buffoons.

Not always true: I don't think I've heard my wife use the adjective "hopeless".:smile:laugh

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I said I'd report back after 1 month. It's now been almost 6 weeks and no further problems with the Mail app opening randomly. So thank you to everyone that suggested solutions. I'm very pleased!!!.

Please look out for another problem I'm just about to post on the iOS threads (iPhone SE speaker icon has line through it by default when playing video)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I said I'd report back after 1 month. It's now been almost 6 weeks and no further problems with the Mail app opening randomly. So thank you to everyone that suggested solutions. I'm very pleased!!!.

Did you ever figure out what the actual cause was, or know what you did to fix the problem???

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.