Mac logon issues

Reaction score
Hi,

One of my users is unable to log into their Mac Pro. She logged into her Mac yesterday morning, went to lunch, but was unable to log in when she got back.

I went up and logged in with the local admin account, only to find it had been turned into a standard account. The user was set up as an admin too, but her name was no longer in the list at all.

No network accounts log in, and the log in window doesn't show a green or an orange light to indicate whether network accounts are available or not. It just shows the Mac' name.

This morning I can't log into the Mac with any accounts, local or network. Nothing has been changed since yesterday, all that was done was it was turned off and unplugged from the wall.

The OSX version is 10.6.8

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as I've never seen anything like this before.

Thanks,
Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Have you checked the log file ?
Things like that don't just happen. There has to be a reason !

Cheers ... McBie

M

MacInWin

Paul Josaph, please don't hijack this thread. Post your own in a separate thread.

austt003, it sounds like someone "played" with her machine while she was at lunch. Was the system set up to require a password to wake it from the idle state? Did she log out before going to lunch (best practice, that)? What is most alarming the change in account status, which is a non-trivial change.

If you can log it at all, run Console to get the logs. If you can't log in anywhere, can you boot from the install disk for the machine and look in /private/var/log to for the logs. And if you have to, you can remove the HD from the machine and put it in another to gain access to the logs, just don't boot from it.

And are we talking about a Mac Pro or a MacBook Pro? Just asking to be sure it is the desktop.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi Jake (MacInWin)

Thanks for replying.

It is a Mac Pro, not a Macbook Pro, being a massive desktop tower. She said that she locked the Mac whe she went to lunch, but I can only go on what I'm told.

If another user logged in they would only have standard access, not admin as I need to enable that after they have logged in.

I'm the only one who knows the local admin password, so I'm fairly certain that no one has logged in using that either.

I tried again this morning and still can't get in with any accounts.

I know they are uncommon, but this does seem like a virus to me. I can't think of anything that somone could do that would mean I can log in, reboot, then not be able to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Ask the lady ( who usually works on that computer ) if she shared her logon credentials with anyone else.
Chances are that she did so someone else could have used her credentials.

Cheers ... McBie

M

MacInWin

Assuming she didn't and nobody got to the system, it's beginning to look like the HD may be having some problems. Can you remove the drive and put it in another machine to see if it's ok? You could run Disk Utility and do a Verify disk test even if it's not the boot drive. You can't repair permissions unless it's the boot, but you can at least test to see if DU sees problems. You can also get to the logs in that other machine. They are just text files with a .log extent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.