• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac & Linux

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OS X Leopard
As you all know, Macs and PC have always been rivals, in a way. The users of one platform would always defend their OS against the other and vice versa. Another battle thats going on is that between PC's (Windows) and Linux. Just go to you Youtube and you'll see how the users bash each other.

So in this big battle ;) I was wondering, where does Mac and Linux stand. Howcome we dont bash the Linux users :spook: . I searched the whole YouTube and Yahoo, I found "Mac vs PC" and "Linux vs Windows" pages and videos, but no "Mac vs Linux" and I was just wondering why :)

Is it because both are Unix? Coz even though, they are different right :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Because most Mac users would switch to Linux before Windows.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OS X Leopard
I wouldnt. I tried Linux before switching to Mac and it didnt impress me much for the following reasons:

1)Its not user friendly at all.
2)it takes so much hassle and work just to configure your Wireless connection.
3)You then need drivers to use your NTFS USB flash drive.
4)There isnt a large variety of softwares for it.
5) The OFFICIAL support forum is unreliable and worthless. To get an answer, you have to beg for it.

Frankly, I think it has the most attractive design out of all operating systems, and Beryl really rocks. But Functionality is more important than Appearance.

Btw the Linux I used is Fedora Core 6.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'd still rather put up with the few difficulties of Linux, than use the crap coming from Microsoft. The security alone is worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
My favorite flavor of Linux was Xandros.. It was very user friendly and installed/worked easily. File sharing between Windows/Mac/Linux was a breeze, detected my network settings automatically.. It is very "Windows-like" in the sense of the destop GUI, but a lot of Gnome and KDE-based systems usually are if the have a GUI installed for them.

I use the open-circulation version of Xandros on my file server sinve my Powermac doesn't work for some reason.

Reaction score
I wouldnt. I tried Linux before switching to Mac and it didnt impress me much for the following reasons:

1)Its not user friendly at all.
2)it takes so much hassle and work just to configure your Wireless connection.
5) The OFFICIAL support forum is unreliable and worthless. To get an answer, you have to beg for it.

Frankly, I think it has the most attractive design out of all operating systems, and Beryl really rocks. But Functionality is more important than Appearance.

Btw the Linux I used is Fedora Core 6.

There are much more "user friendly" distros than Fedora. While I do agree the term user friendly is a relative term with linux, Fedora was specifically designed to be more bleeding-edge, more developer oriented. So if you didn't know how to unpack tarballs or configure settings via the terminal, or are not willing to hunt profusely for drivers there are definitely better versions of linux to use.

I personally love Ubuntu, best distro I've tried. And I've tried a lot.
Like StretchR said, for Linux's many shortcomings its strengths are very good strengths to have. And it's just getting better all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
There are much more "user friendly" distros than Fedora. While I do agree the term user friendly is a relative term with linux, Fedora was specifically designed to be more bleeding-edge, more developer oriented. So if you didn't know how to unpack tarballs or configure settings via the terminal, or are not willing to hunt profusely for drivers there are definitely better versions of linux to use.

I personally love Ubuntu, best distro I've tried. And I've tried a lot.
Like StretchR said, for Linux's many shortcomings its strengths are very good strengths to have. And it's just getting better all the time.

I agree.. Ubuntu is definetly one of the best, IMO, distros of Linux.. Man.. All this talk of Linux is making me want to fark around with it.. I should re-build that old 1.2ghz AMD system I have lying around. New file server any one? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There are really only two operating system families left in the world: the Windows family and the Unix-like family. Both Mac OS X and Linux fall into the second category, among others.

The Unix-like group is a diverse one, but in general they can all run a common set of software and obey a common set of de-facto standards. For the most part, if it runs on Linux, it can be made to run on Mac OS X (though the reverse is not always true.) Thus, it's much easier for a Mac user to coexist with Linux than with Microsoft's closed products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I really enjoyed Suse, I am still running 10.0 on a machine here works perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I think the whole bashing the opposing side, is stupid. It makes no difference to me whether my Brother, Father or any of my Friends or Family use a Mac, PC or even Linux.

Whatever they find most useful and practical to use. So why on earth would I care what strangers use, this whole Fanboy crap is pointless and a complete waste of anyone's time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I think the whole bashing the opposing side, is stupid. It makes no difference to me whether my Brother, Father or any of my Friends or Family use a Mac, PC or even Linux.

Whatever they find most useful and practical to use. So why on earth would I care what strangers use, this whole Fanboy crap is pointless and a complete waste of anyone's time.

I agree.. use what suits your needs.. for me, it's a Mac. for gaming, it's consoles.

Once I got my gaming PC to "where I wanted it," it wasn't fun any more. Sure there are a plethora of sweet games for Windows, but I lost interest after I got where I wanted.

I'm a fairly creative person, so the Mac suits me better than windows. I spend more time using it, than maintaining/fixing it. It's a more efficient machine. Windows still has its pros, but I love OS X. That's why I prefer a Mac, for the OS.

Reaction score
Because most Mac users would switch to Linux before Windows.

I know I would. I ran various flavors of Linux for 5 years before switching to Mac and if I had to - I would go back to Linux before Windows. There are many different types of Linux distros - some are hard and some are install and run - such as Linspire, Freespire and others. Some of the support groups are very, very good others stink. We used to always think of Mac as "one of us."

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I agree.. Ubuntu is definetly one of the best, IMO, distros of Linux.. Man.. All this talk of Linux is making me want to fark around with it.. I should re-build that old 1.2ghz AMD system I have lying around. New file server any one? :)

Just a plug here - if you like Ubuntu, give Mepis a try, I really liked this one - based on Ubuntu so you can use their repositories - best of all the Mepis developer runs it on a Mac Pro as his primary system.

But the way OS X works, don't really see any reason to mess around with Linux, at least not on my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I really enjoyed Suse, I am still running 10.0 on a machine here works perfect.

Agreed. SuSE is great. I have a 9.3 installation that is kind of like my Mac; it just keeps working and working and working. Solid as a rock, lots of nice eye candy and all the functionality you could want (...from Linux, anyway). It still doesn't run iTunes or Photoshop, so I still love my Mac! :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I agree, with allot of you, I really liked the newest suse thats out. I had it on my thinkpad for a while, and it's very user friendly. Though I prefer debian based systems and slackware, the new suse is pretty good. I'm just worried they are trying to be the big wig linux vendor, they have been closing source, and making you pay for allot of things. I'm not a big fan of ubuntu, I personally feel it gets too much credit than what it's worth. I'm not bashing ubuntu, while it's decent. It's not my slice of cake.

Mainly because it's... debian, just more frequently updated. But i feel they altered it a bit much, i just dont like how it feels. I never have, I dont think I ever will. I like mepis and pure debian, other debian variants as well, just not ubuntu. Gentoo is pretty decent once you learn how to compile it. There is a sort of an acomplishment and a good feeling when you build and compile your OS. I think it's great being able to work with linux how you can. Since it's so open you can do what you want for the most part.
--------

I just wanted to note on these. I know some people answered the questions. But, here's my 2 cents.

3. Drivers? I've never had to have drivers for an NTFS volume, the only thing is the kernel needs to support it. You usually will have read access, but you wont have write access. That is usually pretty easily fixed with a few changes in a config file. I've never really had to have drivers for an NTFS volume. You just have to make sure you're using the latest build of your flavor of linux. Most now are with the 2.6 kernel, it supports NTFS.

4. There is allot of software for it, just like the Mac, there seems to be all of these myths about there being so much more applications for windows, but in reality. There are more applications for linux and Mac than there are windows. Think about it this way. It's like a snow ball effect. There is an application for windows, it's a standard native application for windows. There isn't a build for linux, or the mac, because it's native to windows. But, the open source community, being as big as it is. Some one decides to write an application that is a basic clone of the native application for windows. Yet, it runs better, faster and is more stable, and it is also updated on a regular basis. It's also open source, so.. if some one finds a flaw, they can fix the bug, send it to the developer and they can make the fixes and release the patch.

It happens allot faster than it does with this native application for windows. It doesn't end there either. Some one else comes along and decides they would like to make some changes to this new application, they would like to build from it and onto it, now you have two versions of this application that are very similar if not the same and better than the original native application for windows, and then it goes from there another developer does the exact same thing, and then, some one comes along. He's a mac developer, so he decides to make a port of this open source application, then some one else does the same thing.. it keeps going on and on until there are about 25 versions of one application. Like a snow ball. That's how there are more applications for mac and linux platforms, because of the open source community. It's logics, what's funny. Is allot of those applications will be ported to windows eventually, or are ported to windows because the far exceed the original native application.

5. The reason you have to beg is because, the answer has 99.2 % of the time has been answered 100 times. Just like how to change your icons on a mac, or how to resize an image or how to eject a dmg. It's because most people neglect to search for the answer, they register and post 1 or 2 questions and never come back because no one answered their question. Being a noobie isn't shunned upon, it's just .... it makes sense to use the search feature first. That's why most of the seasoned members on any forum, weather it be a linux, mac, windows, beauty salon, forum, you'll be directed to a search button first, because it gets repetitive, and kind of overwhelming seeing the same 3 questions each week. People get tired of answering the same questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I came to Mac from Linux. Now the only Linux machine I have is my ThinkPad running SuSE 10.0 (and SuSE will go away soon too). While going Mac to Linux may not be a gratifying experience, going the other way - Linux to Mac - is.

Since coming to the Mac I've noticed some people expressing disappointments over limitations with the Mac. Limitations?! Really?! To me, the Mac is pure joy. I have Unix and multimedia entertainment all in one package. It's very nice.

Still, as others have expressed here in this thread, in the end it is all about what you need to run for apps. Operating System Fubar can be the greatest OS in the world, but it isn't worth much if you can't do the things you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standard Black MacBook
I run both Fedora Core 5 and Mac OS X Tiger.

My Linux box is my C++ testing ground and all around geek machine. I use my Mac for web design and everyday stuff like forum posting, OpenOffice work, and stuff like that.

It all works for me, just as long as I'm Windows free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.