Mac for a month

K

Kathie

It has now been just over one month since I have had my new iMac. I feel like I am finally getting used to how things work. My favorite thing is that is just works! There have been a few times I have had to Force Quit an app, nice thing about that is whole computer doesn't crash. I simply close the offending program and go about my business, or open the program again if need be. There are a few things I miss, like being able to see a url when I put the pointer on a link. Also I am finding the text in mail doesn't stay big wheni move from one letter to the next. I have to resize the text each time, and the 'command + '+' doesn't work in email. I'm considering purchasing Adobe Elements as I'm not too crazy about the iPhoto options to touch up pictures. If I had my way I would get rid of that LARGE screen of pics to scroll through and put the pics in folders instead of having every one of them in the screen as a thumbnail...but that's just me. : )
Some questions I have yet to approach are things such as , is there a 'defrag' of some sort I need to run once a while, or a 'scandisk' of some sort. Am not sure what utilities I need to keep everything in good working order. I have AppleCare Protection Plan, but have been having too much fun playing on the machine to dig into the real stuff. I'll do that soon, promise. heheheh Can't wait to get my hands on a digital camcorder and DVD-R!
JMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Kathie said:
There are a few things I miss, like being able to see a url when I put the pointer on a link.
Im not sure what you mean about this one...

Kathie said:
If I had my way I would get rid of that LARGE screen of pics to scroll through and put the pics in folders instead of having every one of them in the screen as a thumbnail...but that's just me. : )
You should be able to.. I believe they are called albums.. I don't use iPhoto anymore, but when I did you had your main library which is what you are describing and then you could create a whole bunch of "rolls" or folders.. to organize them in...

Kathie said:
Some questions I have yet to approach are things such as , is there a 'defrag' of some sort I need to run once a while, or a 'scandisk' of some sort. Am not sure what utilities I need to keep everything in good working order.
Nope no need to run this stuff.. all you need to do is shutdown your mac once in awhile and when it boots up it will fix whatever needs fixing. Although i do recommend repairing permissions once in awhile, especially after a System Update.. you do that by going to your Utilities folder and opening up Disk Utility.. check that program out.. there is a decent amount that it does.

Cheers!

OP
J

jazztorb

are you talking about seeing links in safari? just go to view and enable statusbar, it will show the links in there when your pointer is there...

OP
K

Kathie

Jazz,thanks for the pointer!! That's exactly what I was talking about! Saves me from going to a link I don't need to follow.

Murlyn, I made albums, all the pics in iPhoto still show up on the main screen. If you don't mind me asking, what do you use for viewing your pictures?

OP
K

Kathie

Murlyn, I ran disk utilities, it repaired some folders. Thanks for the advice!! :) Is Mac-forums great er what?! :)

OP
J

jsgates

Well, theirs a slide bar in iPhoto that lets you choose the size of the thumbnails. At the largest size, its just one photo per screen.

OP
S

supenguin

Too cool! I just realized that I have been using my Mac for a month and a half. I second what Kathie said: best thing is it "just works". I've had one or two cases where things seemed to get "stuck" and I had to force a restart. But I was doing some crazy things then. Also, I've only had the fan on my ibook kick in twice! I'm spoiled by its near-silent operation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I use iView which is actually quite expensive now.. it didnt used to be so expensive, but it's the best photo manager out there in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Kathie said:
Murlyn, I ran disk utilities, it repaired some folders. Thanks for the advice!! :) Is Mac-forums great er what?! :)
If you don't use Mac janitor, and your Mac is off or asleep around 0500 in the morning you may need to run cron task - I do it manually, Finder > Applications >Utilities > Terminal type (superuser to root) sudo sh /etc/daily, the same command /etc/weekly and monthy at the right times. I run every night right after I'm done, close all apps first, a good way to be sure everything is closed is to log off user then log back on and run it alone.
:cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.