Mac Fonts

Reaction score
I am a bit unsure still on how fonts work on MacOSX.

If I was to purchase this for example, which one would I choose, and why?

Liam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Depends on what you're using it for, I suppose.

TrueType will have more functionality, though - that's what I would buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Before you shell out some dough, have a look at http://1001freefonts.com/
They have every look I've ever needed. If you have the time to muddle though it.
One day I ran a program that spidered the entire website. So I was able to browse all of the preview gifs on my harddrive. I'm such a cheater =)

OP
L
Reaction score
I mainly use my fonts for work in Illustrator/Indesign/Photoshop

OP
L
Reaction score
Before you shell out some dough, have a look at http://1001freefonts.com/
They have every look I've ever needed. If you have the time to muddle though it.
One day I ran a program that spidered the entire website. So I was able to browse all of the preview gifs on my harddrive. I'm such a cheater =)

I've found nowhere which has Changeling-Bold (The font in the link) to download for free unfortunately.

Reaction score
I've found nowhere which has Changeling-Bold (The font in the link) to download for free unfortunately.
Don't search for the name. Search for the appearance.The identical font or almost identical font probably exists for free somewhere on the web but under another name. From Wikipedia (bolding mine):
United States law does not permit the copyrighting of typeface designs, while allowing the patenting of unusually novel designs. Digital fonts that embody a particular design often become copyrightable as computer programs. The names of the typefaces can become trademarked. As a result of these various means of legal protection, sometimes the same typeface exists in multiple names and implementations.
Thiat's why there a million different names for Helvetica, the most well-known being Arial.

Edit: Incidentally, if a search seems to be going in circles, it might be because traditionalists still refer to different families of type as typefaces. To them, "font" means the differences within a type family. Helvetica is a family, but a Helvetica font would be Helvetica bold, Helvetica italic and so on. Searching for "font" on a particular site might get you nowhere.

The larger "families" include serif and san-serifs. The typeface you want is a san-serif, a sort of squashed Helvetica bold — "Helvetica Bold Squished." :)

This article might make the search easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Thiat's why there a million different names for Helvetica, the most well-known being Arial.

Arial is a derivative of Helvetica though :) They may look superficially the same, but there are plenty of differences. Arial is a naff looking font and you'd notice a difference in two documents using one each.

By the way, I'd personally buy the Postscript version of Changeling if you're using Creative Suite apps on OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.