Mac Display Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 27
Hi Everyone, even though my IMac is older I am really coming to enjoy it. There are things that work differently than the Windows PC'a that I have spent 30+ years working with but I understand why Apple has the following that they do.

One of the things that is a constant source of amazement to me about this IMac even though it is an older unit is the display. My primary computer is a
Dell XPS with a Core i7 processor. I am using a Dell S2340M 23" Monitor with the Brite View display. Both my Dell monitor and my IMac display are running at full HD resolution, 1920 x 1080. My Dell monitor is IMO is very good but this IMac simply blows it out of the water and this is my question. What does Apple do with their displays that makes them so good? I know that Apple has always been known for amazing displays but how do they do it. This display isn't a Retina display and I am kind of glad it isn't. I think if it was I'd cry every time I sat down in front of it.

How about it everyone, what makes Apple displays so good?

Reaction score
How about it everyone, what makes Apple displays so good?

Most of it is just high quality/high spec. It's a poorly kept secret that Apple doesn't make any of their own displays. They purchased many of their their internal LCD iMac displays from Toshiba and their "Retina" displays from Samsung. Their external displays have traditionally been made by Samsung and occasionally LG. (I haven't checked who makes the just released Apple Studio Display, but my guess is Samsung or LG.)

Of course, Apple tells these companies what specs and features that they they want. So technically these displays are "designed by Apple". But in actuality, they are almost always just leveraging the guts of some top-of-the-line displays already in production by some manufacturer and adapting them for their needs.

Apple famously says that they "make the entire widget". That is, they make their entire computers themselves, rather than buying off-the-self parts and assembling them like a Windows PC. But that isn't strictly true. Apple buys displays, hard drives, SSD's, RAM DIMMS, etc. from third party suppliers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
For the prices they should be top quality! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.