Mac display "compressed"

Reaction score
Hey gang, this problem only just started happening. I've been using a macbook pro that I bought in october. I ordered from apple so I'm assuming that means it's the most current model. I'm running Mavericks, I have an i7 processor, 8gb ram, and 1tb of harddrive storage. I figured I'd give those details.
Since I first got the machine I've used a moshi adapter to run the display through my tv as a mirrored external display with an HDMI cable. Up until about a day ago both displays would look fine and fit the screen automatically after plugging it in. Now when I plug my computer in, the image is adjusted so that my desktop fits the tv fine, but what is displayed on my macbook's monitor appears "compressed". Inch wide black bars appear above and below the display and everything appears squished. I've tried rebooting, messing with resolutions, clearing the PRAM, booting in safemode, and verifying my boot disk. I've also just run an Apple Hardware Test to no avail. What concerns me is that the same problem occurs when I hook it up during my windows partition. My roomate's laptop(asus, windows 8) runs through the tv fine, so I know it isn't the HDMI cable. I'm thinking about potentially ordering a new moshi adapter to see if that is the issue. The only other thing I could think it might be is the actual thunderbolt port itself somehow.
Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should attempt? I've searched for the ability to display a mirror image while using two different resolutions, but haven't found much.

Thank you all in advance. Usually I can fix things on my own with a few hours of troubleshooting, but this is killing me :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks! I've been playing around with SwitchResX for a bit. It definitely gives you a little more control over the settings than Mac's built in System prefs.
I ordered a new moshi adapter, so fingers crossed that's the only problem:Smirk:
Will post an update

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But I'd suggest your moshi adapter has failed. ;(

+1. Try a new adapter. As far as using SwitchResX goes, as long as you don't have to buy it to test it, but I doubt it will resolve the problem.

OP
D
Reaction score
+1. Try a new adapter. As far as using SwitchResX goes, as long as you don't have to buy it to test it, but I doubt it will resolve the problem.
Thanks chscag. I've actually got a buddy coming over tonight with his adapter. Reading through some reviews online, this particular brand isn't the most reliable on the market. Things break though, and I just don't want to go through more in depth restorative/repair methods. *lazy sometimes*
As mentioned above, gonna post updates.

OP
D
Reaction score
Update: I've tried a new adapter with no luck. I'm running out of things to try. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Assuming the new adapter is good, I'd try booting up into Safe Boot Mode and/or setup a new "test user" and login as them and see if anything improves.

OP
D
Reaction score
After trying both of your recommendations, the problem still occurs.
I'm thinking I might try and get in touch with a friend of mine's boss. He's a tech guy at our college. Apparently he's dealt with this problem before on school computers. I just have to catch him at a good time when he's not too busy.
Will update if I find a fix. Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. If anyone has anything they think I should try I'm all ears :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.