Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Stay away from clean my mac. Stick with OnyX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Rayben - OnyX from Titanium Software has been recommended on this forum for years and is free - I've been using the app since 2013; of course, the developer releases apps that are specific to the macOS versions - OTOH, many of the so-called 'Mac Cleaners' of the past have not been recommended here and even condemned, but opinions have varied depending on the app under discussion and the poster.

Now, I've never used a 'cleaner' other than OnyX, so cannot offer an opinion as to what you mean is 'better', e.g. does the app do a decent job in removing 'detritus' from your Mac computer w/o causing damage and resource hogging?

Looking at this review from last month, CleanMYMac X's newest version gleamed great comments - now I don't know the reviewer nor the website (i.e. is the software company providing support?) - also, although a free trial is offered, the cost is $35/one computer use, so an important consideration for many since OnyX is free. Additionally, this app appears in Apple's App Store - is that a recommendation and was the program well tested by Apple, don't know?

SO, I'll be quite curious to see what our long term posters put up regarding your question. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 11.22.57 AM.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@rayben

I completely agree with Dave.

If you are well versed in the intricacies of computers and can handle complex apps, then the "new" CleanMyMac X" is worth considering despite the cost. It is powerful but requires a fairly intimate knowledge of the workings of a Mac.

If, like many of us, you want a safe, undemanding app, then OnyX is for you. Free, must download the version for your Operating System (OS), and run it on "Maintenance" and use the defaults. It will do a good job. Safely.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Is onyX better than clean my macx or is there a better one than both

Not knowing what your Mac problem might be or your Mac OS competence level, you may want to just consider using the developer's Maintenance.app if you even really need it:
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/applications.html

Forget the Mac has its own Built-in Fix it app: Disk Utility.app. Also free.

Plus maybe the occasional Shutdown, wait at least 40 seconds, and then a cold boot using Safe Boot Mode, and then do a normal Restart. That alone will probably purge a lot of surplus crap and cache files your Mac might appreciate losing.

- Patrick
=======

B

Blueser100

Is onyX better than clean my macx or is there a better one than both
I have tried both programs. I think CMMX is very good though I have had my frustrations with some things it does and how the techs deL with it (search the forum you can find it). I was encouraged here to use Onyx instead. I tried it. Didn’t care for it. I’m back with CMMX and am pretty happy with it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I’m back with CMMX and am pretty happy with it.

Use whatever you're happy with. We recommend OnyX because it's known to be safe as long as it's used in its default mode. And of course it's free.

As with any cleaning app, keep your backups up to date. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.