Mac Calendars

Reaction score
How can I eliminate the birthdays calendar? I won't permit me to enter my normal appointments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Open your Calendar app. At the top click on Calendar -> Preferences -> General
At the bottom on the left are two check boxes - holidays & birthdays. Uncheck birthdays. As to entering a normal appointment - I can tell you have I do it. I have the calendar in full month mode. To enter an event I double click/tap the date and a pop up bubble comes up and I can enter the event.

If that does not work for you, be more specific and I can try to help. It would be helpful to know what mac you have, year, version of OS X you are using and if you are not using the default apple calendar app then what you are using.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", 2009, OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
lclev - had same issue. Using the default Apple Calendar (Calendar is vs 8.0).

Already had checked under Preferences but was unable to uncheck Birthdays Calendar (was greyed out). But never had checked it.

(Use Mozilla Thunderbird email program in which Mozilla recently added a Calendar addon. Disabled the addon and uninstalled/reinstalled Thunderbird, still unable to add/view events.)

So decided to activate iCloud and was suddenly able to view events and add/edit events.

I believe all of this happened when I updated to Mavericks 10.10.5, and possibly, when the recent addon was included by Mozilla to Thunderbird.

However still cannot see any holidays. Any way this can be fixed. Somehow got another Calendar with Holidays but not only doesn't it show the holidays it's empty of my events.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hi C.Sterling and welcome to the forum!

I am not sure I can help but I do have a link to a page that Apple provides to work through issues:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204598

One of the problems I have found is that other calendars will have their settings and they will cause conflicts. I have five Apple devices that show my calendar. I have to make sure they all are set to let my iPhone be the main controller of the calendar or bad things can happen. I am wondering with the installation of Thunderbird's calendar extension if something over road the settings in the regular calendar app. Unfortunately uninstalling will not always fix the issue and something is set to not show holidays. Give the link I included a try and see if that will help.

BTW: 10.10.5 is Yosemite - not Mavericks.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.