Mac Book trouble

Reaction score
So I've had my mac for a while now and recently I've wanted to plug in an external keyboard.

I dug one out and found a PS/2 connection so got a connecter off amazon and plugged it in, no joy.

I did a bit of research and found i needed to download some programs to map the keys as it was a window's keyboard and to make it compatible. I downloaded the programs and ran them but it still doesn't work. I plug it in and the caps and num lock lights flash then go off and then I lose the use of my mouse and keyboard for about 20 minutes then it comes back.

The start up speed had also decreased and it now takes for ever to turn on and when it finally starts I once again lose the use of my mouse and keyboard and after a period of time I'm able to use them again. Also just the general speed of my mac has seemed to decrease after downloading these, would they have this affect?

Any idea what i did wrong?

The programs were 'applePS2controller.kext', ' DoubleCommand-1.6.9.dmg' and 'voodooPS2Controller-0.98.pkg'

Thanks alot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As inexpensive as USB keyboards are, why in the world would you want to use a PS2 keyboard? I've used various USB keyboards (Windows types) and they work straight out of the box, no software required. The only difficulty is remembering which keys are the substitute for the unique Mac keys.

OP
S
Reaction score
As inexpensive as USB keyboards are, why in the world would you want to use a PS2 keyboard? I've used various USB keyboards (Windows types) and they work straight out of the box, no software required. The only difficulty is remembering which keys are the substitute for the unique Mac keys.

I purely did it because it was lying around my house and i picked an adapter for £1.
As this hasn't worked I'm going to be returning it to the seller as it's faulty.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As inexpensive as USB keyboards are, why in the world would you want to use a PS2 keyboard?

EXACTLY the first thought that came to my mind!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I purely did it because it was lying around my house and i picked an adapter for £1.
As this hasn't worked I'm going to be returning it to the seller as it's faulty.

Ok...maybe it was a £1 experiment that didn't work out!;) I was thinking it cost more.

Nice try.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok...maybe it was a £1 experiment that didn't work out!;) I was thinking it cost more.

Nice try.:)

- Nick

Have you any idea why my mac's speed has suddenly dropped and why im losing usage of my keyboard and mouse on booting?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.