Mac book pro OS MAV Missing

Reaction score
Hi .. i have a Mac Book Pro that has an OS X Lion .. That I Upgrade just this summer to OS X Mavericks .. then when i dual booted it with Windows using bootcamp everything was fine till last October when i opened my Mac the OS X was Missing and it wont even boot properly on Windows.. what should i do ?

i need help please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If it is booting but not finding an operating system I would guess the hard drive has failed. But without more information like was there any symptoms prior to the failure such as slow downs, beach balls, shutting down or anything else out of the ordinary, it is hard to be definite.

If you originally had Lion on it, I presume you have the original install disks which you may need if you have to replace the hard drive or you can download the Mavericks installer. There should be a recovery system. Did you try to do a recovery by holding down the command + R key as you start it up?

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

I do hope you have a backup like time machine or CCC or Superduper.

Lisa

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes . i have tried to use Command + R , Nothing happens. i also tried Command + Option + P + R .. still nothing happens . it's just all white this mac book was given by my Aunt and I don't have the Original Install Disks

C

chas_m

Command-Option-P-R is to reset the PRAM and has nothing whatsoever to do with booting a system. Command+R is to access the Recovery partition, but based on your sequence of events it sounds like you incorrectly formatted the entire disk for Windows rather than partitioned it so that destroyed both OS X and the recovery partition.

I'm inclined to agree that the hard drive has now failed. I'd suggest a visit to the nearest Apple Store or authorized repair centre so they can try to resurrect it.

OP
J
Reaction score
but when I installed windows by using the boot camp .. it was working pretty well .. i've used my mac for about a month then it happened

M

MacInWin

Try booting while holding down CMD+Option. That should lead to a screen where you can see all bootable drives and partitions. You will need to hold the keys down until the screen with bootable options appears.

OP
J
Reaction score
HI MacInWin, i have just tried pressing Command+option key ..after a minute it jst all turns black and there's a blinking cursor after about 20 seconds it goes to the windows recovery asks me what action to do ( launch repair system or start windows normally.)
Mac OS is really missing -_-

is there a way i can format my mac? never mind the files inside it i just need my mac fixed

M

MacInWin

You earlier said CMD+R "nothing happens." That also requires you to hold the CMD+R for a long time. Did you hold that combination down long enough?

M

MacInWin

Also, if you live near an Apple store, a visit to get them to reinstall the OS may be the fastest way to get it done.

OP
J
Reaction score
I held down on Command+R util it just turns to black and boots to windows.it took almost a minute .. i did not let go of it ..

M

MacInWin

Not to my knowledge, but they will install Mavericks for you, if you ask nicely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.