Mac as a second Monitor

Reaction score
Hey there

I have a 2010 iMac and recently bought a new 2017 iMac. I'd like to use the 2010 as a second monitor for now. (I realize its a "powerful" second monitor, but I'll have another use for it in a year, this is just temporary).

The 2010 has the original thunderbolt jack and my newer one has the thunderbolt 3 jack. Admittedly I am not a computer expert but I'm not sure what the best way is to make that connection. I do know how to set it up once connected. The 2010 was connected to an old VGA monitor as its second monitor. So I don't know how available a thunderbolt to thunderbolt 3 jack is.......so I already have a thunderbolt to VGA adaptor. Maybe am I best to get a new thunderbolt 3 to via adaptor and use the VGA cord as the connector.

Is there a better option? Again sorry for the ignorance.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello Jayne...yes you may be in luck.:) Only certain iMac models can do this...and 2010 iMac's are included...but only 2010 27" iMac's (so it depend's what you have). Here's an Apple document that explains things:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It is the 21.5 model. So is there just no way this works than? I did read the link you suggested and it seems that might be true, I just want to be 100% sure. The guy in the Apple Store said it would be no problem (Admittedly he probably couldn't drive when I bought the original in 2010....i.e. young guy). And it seems a bit odd that it would work for some and not others......but again the link suggests that to be true. Just want to be sure I have explored all options before moving on.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would trust that the Apple document is correct...that only 27" 2010 iMac's can be used as an external (2nd) display. On the positive side...if you sold your 2010 21" iMac...you would probably have plenty of $$$ to purchase a nice big external display for your new iMac!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.