Mac Air making v. alarming noises

cbr

Reaction score
My brand new Mac Book Air frequently makes very loud scraping and whirring noises, as though it's about to fly apart. I took it to the Apple Store, where the Genius Bar people told me I would need to bring in a recording, offered no further theories. Any ideas out there? I don't want to waste any more of my time.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My brand new Mac Book Air frequently makes very loud scraping and whirring noises, as though it's about to fly apart. I took it to the Apple Store, where the Genius Bar people told me I would need to bring in a recording, offered no further theories. Any ideas out there? I don't want to waste any more of my time.

No ideas really, but since the only moving part is the fan it would almost have to be the source of any such noise.

OP
C

cbr

Reaction score
v. alarming noise cont.

Yes, making a recording of the noise and bringing it to an Apple store. I agree it must be the fan, but the genius staff dismissed this. Really this device is so slim that it shouldn't be so complicated for them to diagnose its source. However they refused to so much as hazard a guess.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It would have to be a Fan as there is no hard drive or DVD drive. Only thing that moves is the FAN.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.