• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac Advert: Out of the Box.. misleading?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1.8GHz C2D iSight 1GB RAM 160GB HDD
Hey,

The UK advert 'Out of the Box' I think is a bit misleading.

I doubt you can just buy a Mac, take it out the box and play around... Im sure there might be some updates or somthing to make sure its secure..

what do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
i didn't do any of those. just typed in my name...it asked to take my picture and type in my name. i was up and running.

macbook btw

M

MacHeadCase

It is misleading. You have to type your name before using it.

icon12.gif

Oh and of course, you have to enter your ISP info, if you want to use the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Yes, there are usually a few updates to do, but if Apple had to update all the computers right before they shipped them, they wouldn't be as productive.

Also, Out of the Box, the Mac works. You don't need to install the updates. You can turn it on, and start using it.

OP
Dean786
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True - but I do laugh at this adverts though

Like the one when the PC says he does fun stuff like spreadsheets etc.. Not really true.. on a PC you can also download Adobe Photoshop etc and make movies.. Lol.

There adverts can be a bit misleading, people then believe all the Hype.

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah you can use Photoshop on a PC but colour management on a PC is the pits. Yuck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Updates are voluntary and Macs are 99.9% secure without the latest patch. If you were to buy a new Mac, it would only be 3 or 4 weeks 'out of date' anyway patch wise anyway.

So yes, I would say the adverts are actually very true. As the ASA says, it's usually a competitor who complains about a company's advertising before any member of the public contacts them.

The way you worded your post makes me think you don't even have a Mac! :spook:

Not really true.. on a PC you can also download Adobe Photoshop etc and make movies.. Lol.

Out of the box, PC's have less ability to make movies and do 'fun stuff' though. What does Windows have without having to download anything? The point the ad is making is that OSX comes with iDVD, iMovie, Garage Band etc.

OP
Dean786
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hehe - I like mac because its stylish and its simpler to use.

Like I tell my dad "I dont want to download drivers, install updates, run anti virus every day! I just want a computer that.. just works!"

He's doing a Microsoft course and Hes trying to stop me buying a mac - hehe he says theyre a rip off and you cant do much on them..

LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Q: Oh my!! An company's advert wasn't 100%, completely on the nose, accurate at describing how my experience with their product will be!!!! I am so mislead and confused and lost! Whatever shall I do?!?

A: Don't take adverts so literally. Your life will be much less stressful when you don't put focus on namby pamby little worries like adverts being the honest to God truth all the time.

The simple facts are that yes, Macs tend to be configured to a more "usuable" point right out of the box, but they will need updates. It would be complete idiocy to believe that any computer, regardless of its OS, would not ever need some sort of software update or other update added to it at some point in time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
As far as i know, most (if not all) computers sold by manufacturers (Dell, Apple, HP) work out of the box. However, a Mac will need less updates and probably will come with more "fun" software than a PC. Also, most updates for OSX won't require you to restart your machine, while Windows updates can mess your configuration and often require a restart.

Think about this: if you buy a Mac right now (from the Apple store) it probably has OSX 10.4.8, which means just one update to go. Also it will have several programs installed, from word processors to Garage Band. If you buy a Windows-based you will need much more updates (consider one per week since the release of Vista) with Office (trial) installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
macs rule. i unboxed my macbook and only 5 minutes later i had edited and published a video of the unboxing to the web, while reading replies in Mail and video chatting with my friend in the bahamas, sending back and forth screenshots of our constantly changing desktop images. true story.

Reaction score
He's doing a Microsoft course and Hes trying to stop me buying a mac - hehe he says theyre a rip off and you cant do much on them..LOL
Ask him why he isn't taking a course on how to fix 1956 Austin Westminsters.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.