M1 vs i7 on 13" macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted to gauge your feelings on which model is better in general. The 13" M1 macbook pro or the 13" i7 macbook pro.
Reviews online are inconclusive so I wondered what the community's thoughts were.

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Better is too subjective. What is it you're looking for?

OP
D
Reaction score
Does it perform as well as the i7 on everyday use?
Is the standard 8GB ram enough when usually you'd be looking for 16GB with the i7?
The M1 claims to perform better than the i7 due to its unified memory and being a complete 'system on chip'
I do believe this helps with efficiency.
Software compatibility aside, are there any other reasons to stick with the i7?
I'm unlikely to task these machines with more than video/keynote presentation.

I'm slightly suspicious I can buy a new M1 for less than a refurbed i7. What's the catch?

Mostly looking for reasons people would choose one over the other.

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's hard to really compare the M1 and i7 based MBP's since they are totally different architectures. The M1 will perform really well in some aspects and i7 better in others.

However, the ARM-based M1 is going to more efficient in general thus more performant than the i7. For your use case, you are likely not going to see any notable difference between an M1 or i7 with 8GB of memory each.

However, since the ARM-based Macs are the next generation, if you were going to purchase, I would recommend the ARM-based version unless you need to have Bootcamp to run Windows right now or if an application you absolutely rely on doesn't work well or at all with Rosetta 2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.