Low RAM causes browsing lag?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
My MB only has 512 MB ram. I've had this problem ever since I got the MB where sites like MySpace and Flickr fail to fully load -- avatars and thumbnails just show up as red x's. Would the low amount of RAM have anything to do with this? I've already established it's not my Wi-Fi or browsers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You dont say what mac you have or what version of OS X

But 512 meg of ram is a bit low nowadays, and MySpace and Flickr can tax an older mac

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You dont say what mac you have or what version of OS X

But 512 meg of ram is a bit low nowadays, and MySpace and Flickr can tax an older mac

Sorry. It's a 2006 MacBook 13" running Leopard.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another example is just logos or headers at the top of an e-mail newsletter -- they just appear as red x's.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Umm I think the red X means that the images failed to load. Not sure but I think that's more connection issues rather than low memory.

Minimum I would get at least 2GB of RAM. 1GB is alright but that's really pushing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I used to get that with Firefox 2 sometimes, after a while, it just wouldn't load things properly, no images etc, and I'd have to quit it and go back in.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to get that with Firefox 2 sometimes, after a while, it just wouldn't load things properly, no images etc, and I'd have to quit it and go back in.

Go back in...you mean reboot and refresh? It happens each time with these sites regardless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
My MB only has 512 MB ram. I've had this problem ever since I got the MB where sites like MySpace and Flickr fail to fully load -- avatars and thumbnails just show up as red x's. Would the low amount of RAM have anything to do with this? I've already established it's not my Wi-Fi or browsers.

Even though I'm not that much of an experienced Macintosh user, I can assure you that it isn't a problem with your RAM memory size, but a problem with your connection. Are you using Safari browser? Try FireFox 3, it works better than Safari for me, and I'm running a '08 MacBook Pro with 2 GB RAM size.

Link to FireFox 3 - http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/mozillafirefox.html

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even though I'm not that much of an experienced Macintosh user, I can assure you that it isn't a problem with your RAM memory size, but a problem with your connection. Are you using Safari browser? Try FireFox 3, it works better than Safari for me, and I'm running a '08 MacBook Pro with 2 GB RAM size.

Link to FireFox 3 - http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/mozillafirefox.html

I'll give it a try, but I'm using my beloved Opera. If any Opera Mac users could recommend a different version, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.