Love my G5, looking to upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac G5, Power PC duel-core 1.83 Ghz.
Hello,
I have a Power Mac G5, Model Identifier: PowerMac7,3, Duel ppc 1.83 ghz,
2gigs DDR SDRAM, GeForce FX 5200, with 2 HHD. I bought it used just to get used to mac and to play with osx. but I really love this computer, so I have decided I'd like to upgrade. I wenton crucial and found out what I need to max out the RAM, but I'm finding a lot of conflicting opinions about how to go about upgrading the video card??? Can I put any AGP card in? also my mobo has PCI-E slots, can I put in a higher end card. What I'd like to do is be able to play call of duty 2, Fable, tomb raider and other games. I wanna be able to model with blender too. Also I'm thinking of making this my entertainment hub and getting a giant HD display f TV. Are there TV cards for the G5? One thing I noticed is my machine plays halo at maxed out settings great so do I really need to worry about a new card?? I figure I do because guns of icarus runs very slow.... any insight would be greaty apreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Dunno if your processor will be able to Play CoD 2. Plus that game wasn't written for PPC...

The slots might be able to, and you might be able to put in a card as long as it doesn't require a newer x16 slot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your post is pretty confusing. PCIE machines, known as Dual Core, use DDR2 memory and PCIE graphics, and not AGP. About the best you could go to is the ATI Radeon X1900GT. The 1.8 Dual Processor models do not have PCIE but either PCI or PCI-X. Sure it is a G5 and not an Intel Mac Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
... Yea, not 100% sure on the powermacs, even though I owned one, but I do know that my Rev C Power Mac G5 (dual 2GHz, not dual core, but Dual chip set) had several available PCI-E slots, yet still ran an AGP graphics card. Heck even now, some computers still run AGP graphics stock despite having PCi-E busses.

C

chas_m

1. The OP has a Power Mac G5, initially introduced in June of 2004 and discontinued the following April. It has 3 33mhz 64-bit PCI slots and 1 8x AGP Pro slot. The default card options were NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra, 6800 GT DDL, 6800 Ultra DDL, ATI Radeon 9600XT or Radeon 9800XT (the OP has the first option), which has only 64MB of VRAM.

2. OWC (macsales.com) does a good job of letting you know what your options are with this model:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI Technologies/100435854AI/

There's only one option for upgrade from them -- makes it easy doesn't it? :)

Pretty remarkable that you have ANY options given the age of this machine.

PS. For TV options, you'd probaby want to look at the ElGato line of products and check their compatibility with your machine. Again, age is seriously an issue with what you've got there.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dunno if your processor will be able to Play CoD 2. Plus that game wasn't written for PPC...

The slots might be able to, and you might be able to put in a card as long as it doesn't require a newer x16 slot.

CoD 2 is most certainly written for PPC lol thanks tho I think I understand what your sayin sorry if my post was a lil confusing

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. The OP has a Power Mac G5, initially introduced in June of 2004 and discontinued the following April. It has 3 33mhz 64-bit PCI slots and 1 8x AGP Pro slot. The default card options were NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra, 6800 GT DDL, 6800 Ultra DDL, ATI Radeon 9600XT or Radeon 9800XT (the OP has the first option), which has only 64MB of VRAM.

2. OWC (macsales.com) does a good job of letting you know what your options are with this model:
(*) ATI RADEON X1900 G5 Mac Edition - 256MB... (100-435854) at OWC

There's only one option for upgrade from them -- makes it easy doesn't it? :)

Pretty remarkable that you have ANY options given the age of this machine.

PS. For TV options, you'd probaby want to look at the ElGato line of products and check their compatibility with your machine. Again, age is seriously an issue with what you've got there.

Thank you!!! that looks to be what I will have to do! I cant tell if the ElGato will work or not but I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't i'll hook it to my laptop pc. Ya I know the machine is old but it still running like a champ, I was gonna spend a lot of money on a brand new mac pro but I think just upgrading what I have now may be the better choice at least for the time being.

C

chas_m

I agree. The Mac Pros are overdue for a real makeover and it finally looks like it might happen this year, so putting a little money into a good machine now will keep you from having to buy a model that's (soon?) to be replaced.

I normally don't play "the waiting game" but at that dollar level its worth delaying a purchase IF one thinks a *significant* upgrade is coming soon, and in this case I think it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.