lots of newbie Q's

Reaction score
hi im new to ipods and i have a heap of questions.
sorry if youve heard them before, i did try looking for answers first.
i just bought my mother a 30gb vid ipod and synced it to my macbook itunes library. she has a PC at work and a PC laptop at home. will she be able to connect to all 3 and will she have to format it at all?
if i have to authourise my computer will it report any music files that werent created on my macbook (i went travelling for a year so i converted my cds on lots of computers around the world to put on my iriver )?
if in the future i decide to get an ipod myself will i be able to connect both ipods to my macbook?
whats the best way to rip our dvds so she can view them on her ipod?
if i remove music from my itunes to save space and then reconnect her ipod will it remove the files from her ipod too?
thanks
p.

Reaction score
i just bought my mother a 30gb vid ipod and synced it to my macbook itunes library. she has a PC at work and a PC laptop at home. will she be able to connect to all 3 and will she have to format it at all?

I suggest formatting the iPod on your mothers laptop and it will then be useable with all 3 computers, but don't allow the Mac to sync with the iPod when it connects or you will lose all the music stored on the iPod.

if i have to authourise my computer will it report any music files that werent created on my macbook (i went travelling for a year so i converted my cds on lots of computers around the world to put on my iriver )?

I'm not entirely sure about this question, sorry. But if I was to hazard a guess, I'd say that you would only have problems with iTune Store purchases and not with any converted music as long as the format is supported.

if in the future i decide to get an ipod myself will i be able to connect both ipods to my macbook?

I'm not sure if you mean connecting the 2 iPods at the same time ... but I did find info on it anyway:

You can plug more than one iPod into your Mac, but to do so, you must either use a powered hub that provides enough juice for both your iPods or connect each iPod to separate FireWire ports on your Mac.

Apple suggests that an iPod be the only device on a FireWire bus because an iPod requires most of the power that bus can provide. I've heard of instances where people have been able to successfully use an iPod chained to a low-powered FireWire device (or one that has its own power supply), but, in general, I've found Apple's advice to be solid.

whats the best way to rip our dvds so she can view them on her ipod?

Either Handbrake or iSquint.

if i remove music from my itunes to save space and then reconnect her ipod will it remove the files from her ipod too?
thanks. p.

Just make sure you don't allow the PC formatted iPod to sync with your Mac and you will be fine with that.

You might also like to consider taking a look at Senuti, which allows the browsing of an iPod connected to a Mac without the need for iTunes to be running. For the Windows machines there's YamiPod.

OP
P
Reaction score
hi thanks a million for your quick response pulse-8.
with the 2 ipods i just meant can 2 ipods be used with the one itunes, not necessarily at the same time.
thanks again
p.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.