Lost iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) macOS 10.14, 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM
my wife left her ipad on an airliner over 7 months ago. Turned on the lost device function and automatic erase function if anyone tried to turn it on and connect with a wifi. Spoke with Apple and they agree with what I did. Periodically checked and her ipad still showed up on her Find My app with "erase pending". No other information. Again, Apple says just consider it a "paper weight" as nothing can be done with it. Just now (15 minutes ago), I checked her Find My app and her iPad now shows up at a map display location in China. It still shows "Erase Pending". Just spoke with an Apple tech who was surprised and checked on something or with someone. He said probably the ipad is plugged into a charger, but if someone turns it on and tries to open it up, the iPad will still erase itself. I asked if it was not turned on how would it update its location??? I do not plan on removing/deleting her iPad and will keep the "Erase" function still active. Should I still be concerned?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) macOS 10.14, 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM
FYI....decided to get on Apple Support Chat and just contact someone else. When asked how could a location for the iPad appear if it were not somehow connected to the internet. Person advised it may have been connected for just a moment, but not long enough for the automatic erase function to start and the reason "Erase Pending" still showing on the status of the iPad. Also said to not delete the iPad device from her Fund My app. Forgot to ask if I do delete it, will that turn off the automatic erase function.???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am not sure if the auto erase would stop but definitely do not delete it from her Find My app or in Apple ID

Also if she has apple pay setup on it you can remove that on the link above without removing the device.
Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.