Lost/Hidden AutoRecover file

Reaction score
My 2011 Excel is configured to regularly autosave - however after a system crash this morning - the auto recover file did not reopen at restart and there are no files in the auto recover folder. I have had to use auto recover before and never had an issue like this. I see the autosave happen every few mins so the file is presumably somewhere hidden, just no idea where.

Please help.

Thx.

Reaction score
Are you looking in ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/Office 2011 AutoRecovery ?
Or is there another one?

Edit: yes there is another one in Microsoft User Data in Documents. Learn something every day.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My 2011 Excel is configured to regularly autosave - however after a system crash this morning - the auto recover file did not reopen at restart and there are no files in the auto recover folder. I have had to use auto recover before and never had an issue like this. I see the autosave happen every few mins so the file is presumably somewhere hidden, just no idea where.

Please help. Thx.

Auto recovery in Mac Office 2011 is broken and does not work right. The only time it will work is when you don't need it - in other words, before the system crashes. Your only recourse is to open Office preferences, Save, and make sure you select "Always Make a Backup". That will preserve your Word, PP, or Excel document to the latest edit and will appear in your Documents folder as a backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.