Looking to burn a DVD for images

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac, iPhone 7, iPod?, Macbook Pro 2015, Apple TV
Hi . . .I just bought an optical drive for my 2021 iMac M1 and would like to store (burn) some images. Anyone have any luck doing this with Ventura 13.1? Can it be done free of charge or do I need a program (like Toast)? any help is appreciated.

Harv

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Anyone have any luck doing this with Ventura 13.1? Can it be done free of charge or do I need a program (like Toast)? any help is appreciated.

Just being a bit curious, but do recent external optical drives compatible with iMacs come supplied with any decent Mac optical disc burning software??? Or even any instructions???

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Just being a bit curious, but do recent external optical drives compatible with iMacs come supplied with any decent Mac optical disc burning software??? Or even any instructions???

Well for starters, any optical drive would be compatible with a Mac. There's nothing special about them that requires Mac compatibility. I have an old Pioneer optical drive powered by mini-USB that works fine on my M1 MBA. Requires a USB-A to USB-C adapter, of course. I haven't used it to burn anything though, but it reads DVDs and Blu-Rays just fine.

ANYWAY... back to your question... gosh, did anyone's drives come with burning software for Mac? I guess some may have come with Toast at one time long ago? I know Pioneer still makes a point of saying their current drives work on Macs, but they only include Windows software. They do have a firmware updater for Mac at least. I would have thought at least OWC includes software, but nope. They may have at one time, but nothing is included now at least on the bus-powered drives they sell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hello:

You have an optical drive so follow the guidance from Apple.

Wow, I totally forgot Apple integrated DVD burning into OS X some years ago. Here's another tutorial with pictures that elaborates some more.

If something with more features is desired, don't bother with Toast. Burn is open source and free.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes, LIAB, there's software that's free and very user-friendly for the Mac as you've found out and posted.

Nice series of posts from you.(y)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0

- Patrick
=======
I have just bought a Liteon DVD/CD player/burner, and though sold as Mac compatible, the only software with it was Nero for Windows, no Mac software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just bought a Liteon DVD/CD player/burner, and though sold as Mac compatible, the only software with it was Nero for Windows, no Mac software.

Thanks for the info.

And it seems that newer Macs without Optical drives, still support optical disc burning and playing when an external optical drive is connected:

For those who may want more options, maybe have a look at this list here for free burning Mac software:
Top 5 Best DVD Burning Software for Mac 2023 (Ventura Included)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
I've got a 10 year old unused Apple USB Superdrive and last week used it on my M1 Silicon iMac without any issues - well sort of!

The first disk I put in wouldn't eject despite all of the advice and guidance from Dr Google et al. Pulled the whole thing apart using a thin blade screwdriver, removed the disk and now it works perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The first disk I put in wouldn't eject despite all of the advice and guidance from Dr Google et al. Pulled the whole thing apart using a thin blade screwdriver, removed the disk and now it works perfectly.

Congratulations on a successful repair.
Not too many people are willing to take that route.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.