Looking for way to batch-verify images

Reaction score
I had to recover a trashed drive with hundreds of thousands of images. An unfortunately large number of the recovered images are unusable: when trying to open them Preview reports "The file 'xxxxx.JPEG' could not be opened. It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize." GraphicConverter gives a similar error.

Is there any utility that'll scan through all those images and help isolate those that are unusable?

C

chas_m

I would think something like Xee or a quick viewer like that would do the job (JAlbum is another possibility). By constructing a thumbnail catalog, you'll be able to quickly see which files are salvageable.

OP
S
Reaction score
I would think something like Xee or a quick viewer like that would do the job (JAlbum is another possibility). By constructing a thumbnail catalog, you'll be able to quickly see which files are salvageable.

Except that still leaves me with the problem of sorting through hundreds of thousands of thumbnails.

Reaction score
you could try something odd it's unknown if there software would work EYEFI makers of the wireless sd card that transfers from your camera to your computer there software for there product might do it and its free all you have to do is look online for eyefi software

OP
S
Reaction score
you could try something odd it's unknown if there software would work EYEFI makers of the wireless sd card that transfers from your camera to your computer there software for there product might do it and its free all you have to do is look online for eyefi software

What does this have to do with transferring from a camera to a computer? I don't even own any Eyefi products.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.