Looking for printer recommendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
When I move to my Mini in December I had an old (10 years old) HP Deskjet, however there was no Mac driver, only generic, and the WiFi was failing. So because I was downscaling generally I have a HP Envy 6020e, compact, WiFi only, Print Copy Scan (no Fax (never used on my old printer)), with HP Smart it works and is quite quick, not professionally quick, but for £60.00 I am happy.

Reaction score
Surprised that no one has also mentioned HP.

While HP has good hardware (not as bulletproof as it was a decade or two ago
when they made the best printers on the market, but still good), HP
has been known to orphan some fairly recent printers (that is, a new
version of the Mac OS comes out, and they refuse to update their
drivers to be compatible).

Even for those models that they provide updated drivers
for, they have been known to go many months after a new version of the Mac OS has been released to finally offer them.

Also their service and support for Mac
users, while sometimes excellent, has also been known to be
abominable. (I've had more than one user tell me that tech support
told them to get a Windows PC to cure their problem with their
printer!)

Given that there are other printer manufacturers who offer better prices, with more features, similar quality, and who do a MUCH better job of catering to the Macintosh market, I can't personally recommend HP products.

This is not to say that you can't purchase an HP printer and have an excellent experience. It's just that too often Mac users report that they have very frustrating problems with HP. Since there are other manufacturers that do better in several important ways, why roll the dice?

OP
M
Reaction score
Have you done any sleuthing into the problem to see if any of the other suggestions help such as this one:

Also, try removing the toner cartridge from the printer and rocking it back and forth a few times to distribute the toner inside the cartridge properly.

And make sure your printer isn't set for Draft printing as a Default setting.

Also:

- Patrick
=======

I've tried a few of those suggestions. The keyboard "Menu" on the printer is very hard to use. The printer utility doesn't give a reading on "Supply Levels." The toner cartridge may need replacing. I took it out and shook it. It sounded like it might be empty.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I have the earlier version of the Epson printer/scanner pictured below. As we all know, the main problem with inkjets is the cartridges, they cost almost as much as a cheap printer on their own. The printer below overcomes this problem. IMG_3787.png

We’ve had ours for 4 years now and believe me 200ml bottles of compatible HP ink are cheap compared to a cartridge and last for several months even the black.

OP
M
Reaction score
Reaction score
This was a good steer.... You saved me around $65. Thanks.
I'm glad that I could point you to them.

Both Swift Ink
http://www.swiftink.com/
and Carrot Ink
http://www.carrotink.com/
have consistently offered high quality and low cost consumables for many years now. One or the other tend to be the go-to source for consumables. Rarely I'll have to resort to one or two other sources when the above don't carry consumables for a particular printer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.