• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Looking for a software developer job

Reaction score
Hi,

I just graduated with a computer science degree in July 2019. I am currently looking for a software developer role (based in London) however as you’re all aware, Corona virus has been spreading quite fast in London (and workdwide). Therefore whilst I have phone/video interviews only (as opposed to face to face) I’ve been told by the interviewers that there’s no guarantee that new recruits will be appointed at this point in time due to the uncertainty of corona virus.

I was planning to attend conferences and dev hackathons and other career related workshops held by large companies to learn new skills. I also like to attend social meetups. However due to corona they’ve all been cancelled as you’d expect. Can anyone suggest things I can be doing while I am unemployed in order to increase my chances of being hired as a software developer?

Also, what are the chances of getting hired for freelance work as a fresh grad?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Look at websites that are offering small gigs and build up your portfolio with your skills and see if you can start with that. This is an unprecedented time and everyone is being cautious. However, this, like everything else will pass in time and things will return to normal. Use this opportunity to work on your projects that you can demonstrate to potential employers and clients in the future.

As someone who's been in the industry for 20+ years, let me know if I can provide any other help.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by small gigs? There’re projects I feel equipped enough to do but I fearthere are others who are more experienced who’ll be outsourced with these.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Visit your local craigslist and the Gigs section to see things people want, like a website created for a local business or other things. You can offer your services at a better rate than those who are more experienced and as long as you are able to finish the work, that will help you build your portfolio.

Check out these websites and go from there:
In-demand talent on demand.™ Upwork is how.™
78 Best Freelance Jobs Websites (to Get Freelance Work) in 2020
Hire Freelancers & Find Freelance Jobs Online | Freelancer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.