Looking for a Metal Capable Card

Reaction score
Looking to take my 5,1 to Mojave and looking at the used cards available in the maritimes in Canada around my area. There is a Nvidia quadro k5000 on the list of comparable cards but would the k2000 work? There are two people selling the Radeon rx 570 4g but one is a single fan and the other has dual fans and twice as long a card. Is there a difference? The single fan card is brand new and less expensive. Thanks for any assistance.

Reaction score
NVIDIA GTX 680 2Gb Mac flashed is the best basic option:
I flash them in a 5.1 using Windows 10 installed from DVD (NOT USB). Instaling Windows 10 from USB will likely "Brick" the Mac Pro as detailed elsewhere.

AMD RX580 4Gb or 8 Gb are higher end solutions, however, check the card heights as most will partially obscure the only x16 PCIe slot 2 needed for 4x4 NVMe PCIe cards. Gigabyte Aorus range have two cards that do not obscure slot 2 at all. Must use a 2 x 6 pin mini PCIe power to 8 pin "Y" cable with RX580 cards.

The Mac Pro 5.1 will need to have the High Sierra firmware before installing Mojave. If older OS installed, get to 10.11 or fresh install 10.11 prior to HS.

Older Mac OSX installers will need networking disconnecting and the Mac clock changed to a date around 6 months after the installer issue date. Failure to do this will drop the Mac into a boot loop that is a real PITA to get out of !

Download current versions of the HS and Mojave installers from Apple with the updated security certificates that avoid this issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.