• Mac-Forums.com will not in any way, shape, or form be held liable for anything that happens in this forum. It is up to you to make a sound decision on whether to buy or sell to someone here. This forum is only provided as a convenience for our memebers.

Use of this forum is at your own risk.

For further information on protecting yourself in online transactions, please visit the usa.gov-online-safety website.

A few things to keep in mind:

• This forum is use at your own risk
    • The moderators and staff of this forum will have nothing to do with private transactions. Use common sense!
    • Flaming and personal attacks are prohibited and you could be banned without warning for participating in such things.
    • This forum will only be visible by members
    • The most basic rule is USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!!
    • Our forum rules prohibit the discussion of Hackintoshes, this includes the sale of such machines. Any thread advertising a Hackintosh for sale will be deleted and punitive actions may be taken.

Note: Only users with enough posts, an adequate period of time as a member here, and in good reputation standing are able to post in this forum.

Looking for a "beater" laptop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Hi folks. There are times and places where I wouldn't want to take my Macbook Pro. So I'm looking for a laptop that I wouldn't mind (as much) getting damaged or stolen. It doesn't have to be Apple and it doesn't have to have a huge screen.
Any suggestions?
I'm searching eBay but nothing catches my eye.
I looked at Toughbooks but they're pricey and hardly any have the coveted hard drive caddy's.
Maybe an older Latitude?
12" G4?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you want an inexpensive Macintosh laptop...look for an older iBook G3 around 600mhz. I've had opportunities to get one for round $100-$125 (even $75 but that's really rare). Of course these aren't available all the time at this price...so you may have to be patient till you find one.

You didn't mention what you need this "beater" laptop to be able to do...that would help to determine what would be best from a "mhz" perspective.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
i sent you a private message.

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
If you want an inexpensive Macintosh laptop...look for an older iBook G3 around 600mhz. I've had opportunities to get one for round $100-$125 (even $75 but that's really rare). Of course these aren't available all the time at this price...so you may have to be patient till you find one.

You didn't mention what you need this "beater" laptop to be able to do...that would help to determine what would be best from a "mhz" perspective.

HTH,

- Nick

Good point. I'm looking probably for at least 1 to 1.5Mhz but I can change my mind once I get a better idea on what is out there.
I will probably be doing accounting stuff using NeoOffice and turning in my assignments online - so wifi b and g would be necessary.
What is the newest version of OSX that can be installed on a G4? I know PPC support was dropped at some point I just don't know when.
I would probably put linux on the G4 if I got one.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
What is the newest version of OSX that can be installed on a G4? I know PPC support was dropped at some point I just don't know when.
Leopard was the last version that supported the PPC architecture. Here are the system requirements for Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
I have a MacBook that I am going to be selling soon. I want to sell it to get an iPad when they come out. It's in average condition for its age, not sure what you want to pay. But, its a 2.0 C2D, 1gb ram, 80gb hd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook 2.4 C2D/2gb/250 hd
OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I have a MacBook that I am going to be selling soon. I want to sell it to get an iPad when they come out. It's in average condition for its age, not sure what you want to pay. But, its a 2.0 C2D, 1gb ram, 80gb hd.

What is a C2D?

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"

Replied.
I won't be around tomorrow - I have jury duty; so I won't be able to respond until much later in the day.
Unless they happen to have an unsecured WAP in the area of the courthouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!
Maybe an Ibook G4? They're nice enough to carry round, you can add enough ram to make it play games, and it has that security port in place...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook G4 1.42GHz PowerPC, 60GB HDD, 1.5GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8
I just bought my ibook G4. I picked it up off of CL for $300 bucks. I needed another laptop for similar reasons as you're saying. Plus, it was my first experience with a Mac and I was a bit nervous about dropping $1000+ for a new macbook or pro (which I know now I will definitely want in the near future).

So far, so good. Loving the performance/user friendliness of the ibook (Mac) compared to my toshiba satellite PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook G4 1.42GHz PowerPC, 60GB HDD, 1.5GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8
(CL) CraigsList...

It's the latest G4 model produced.

1.42GHz
1.5 of maxed Ram
fresh Leopard 10.5 install
new 60GB HDD
new battery
new charger
isight camera
and new upper/lower cases (look brand new)

all for 300....

I think that's a good buy on my end.

Reaction score
Nice i checked it out an emailed a few people! not that local, but could get something good out of it, desprately want an apple laptop :) seem to be a fan of apple after the iphone lol

Reaction score
looking to get rid of my macbook

1.83 ghz intel core duo
1gb ram ( 2 512 sicks)
60 GB Hd
Currently running Tiger if youre interested let me know ( great beater)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook 2.4 C2D/2gb/250 hd
I offered him an ibook g4 12" 1.33 for $250 shipped he was not interested so not quite sure what he is looking for, he said he likes silver laptops better

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Hi folks,I appreciate everything, but I'm putting this on the back burner for now. If I see a good deal I'll go for it, but I have some projects to work on at the moment.

Reaction score
Any Windows machine. That's the only laptop I'd wanna carry around without wrapping it in skins and shells. :)

That buy sounds about right. Check mac2sell.net or sellamac.com for estimated prices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.