Login password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Good day to all.
I have a MacBook.
regarding the login password. I’m the only person who uses this MacBook. Do I really need to have this login password.
Any thoughts on this please. If it’s okay how to achieve to turn off login password.
many thanks to all.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A good question, David. A lot depends on how you use your MacBook (MB).

For example, if it more or less permanently resides in your study and no one but you and any loved ones you care about, have access, then compulsory login might be unnecessary. But even then, the MB is a very portable device as compared to a 27" iMac desktop, for example. So easy for a thief to remove.

If, on the other hand, you regularly, or even occasionally, take the MB out of the house, then compulsory login is essential.

Is it really such a chore to log in? A minor inconvenience perhaps; but a routine that is a constant reminder to protect your data.

Just my thoughts.

Ian

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Ian.
Many thanks very good reply to think about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Plus, if you account is an Admin account, your password is needed any time you want to install any software, so it's good to remember it every time you start the Mac for the day you really need it to do something. Expanding on what Ian said, you must have a login/password but you can set the Mac to automatically log you in on start up. But you still need that password, as I said, for certain functions.

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay Many thanks. Will keep using password to login.
Thanks.
David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Expanding on what Ian said, you must have a login/password but you can set the Mac to automatically log you in on start up. But you still need that password, as I said, for certain functions.

If a long or awkward password Is the cause of the login problem, besides using the automatic login one could always use a much-shortened password, even using a "period" (.) would work.

Who would think that someone might have used that for a password and try using that if they were trying to hack in???? :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Who would think that someone might have used that for a password and try using that if they were trying to hack in????

Well, now that you've mentioned it to the world................. Patrick :) :wink

The PW for the Login need not be too long nor complicated, but maybe something personal & easy to remember.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
maybe something personal & easy to remember

Ian

Along with the other 121 personal and easy to remember passwords that I have o_O

Thank God for Enpass;)

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks to all who read my post ing regarding the photo app.
thanks to all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Many thanks to all who read my post ing regarding the photo app.
thanks to all.

David
Passwords should be like a tooth brush renew every three months

Maybe it's time to consider changing your Signature...??? :rolleyes: ;)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Pro CPU, 16 GB, 512G SSD
If you have Apple Watch, you can set your Mac to allow the watch to function as a password. Very convenient, when the Mac is asleep, all I need to do it to touch a mouse. There will be a message on my watch that the Mac starts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.