Logicboard repair guides??

Reaction score
So I posted in another section about my Macbook with a (probably) dead logicboard. Spilled coffee weeks ago. Won't start. Opened it up today and found no signs of dried coffee. So, I am going to get a new logicboard someday. But for now I'd like to experiment on my dead one. Anyone know a good resource for learning about this and helping to identify possible problems with the board? And maybe, maybe being about to repair it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think I would wait until the new logic board arrives and it's swapped out before doing any experimenting. You might just have two good logic boards on your hands. (I read your other post.)

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks. I just wish I could see some evidence of liquid penetration. There isn't even anything on the underside of the keyboard. Very strange to me. The computer is still able to charge the battery. Does that usually happen even if the logicboard is out of commission?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks. I just wish I could see some evidence of liquid penetration. There isn't even anything on the underside of the keyboard. Very strange to me. The computer is still able to charge the battery. Does that usually happen even if the logicboard is out of commission?

Depends. Usually when a logic board goes south it takes most of its functions along. In other words, nothing works. I guess the only way to find out is swap the old board out for the new one.

As far as coffee residue is concerned, if the coffee was straight black, in other words - no sugar or cream - it might leave little or no traceable evidence. Try using a strong Halogen light and a magnifying glass when you have the old logic board removed.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.