Logging on, using i cloud

Reaction score
I want to connect my new macbook air to my iMac and eventually my iPhone as well. I guess I need to access my iCloud.I want access to documents I produce from all units. here is my dilemma...

I tried logging on to iCloud and it says that the email address is already signed into iCloud. "To use this apple id as your primary iCloud account delete it from internet accounts and sign in again.

So i clicked on "open Internet accounts"

i then see iCloud,exchange,google,twitter etc.

then my brain stops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think you'll find working with any iCloud stuff almost if not completely impossible if you're using your Mac and with what your sig shows you're using — iMac OS X 10.5.8.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You don't need iCloud to accomplish this either. For example, you could use Google Drive across your devices or, even better, OneDrive with mobile Office. Are you only looking to keep documents in sync?

OP
K
Reaction score
You don't need iCloud to accomplish this either. For example, you could use Google Drive across your devices or, even better, OneDrive with mobile Office. Are you only looking to keep documents in sync?

Yes. My iMac is less than 2 years old. I don't understand how computers go out of date so quickly. I just wanted to be able to sync the iMac and laptop together

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's not so much that the computer is out of date and more a case of the software being out of date. What are the hardware specs of your machine?

C

chas_m

I think in the spirit of trying to be helpful, both you and some of the contributors have complicated the question.

In order to give a truly informed (and probably very simple) answer, we need you to give us some updated specs on your devices. Since your iMac is much newer than was previously posted in your specs, chances are the process is really very simple. The iCloud service can be used to sync a number of things, but not everything from one machine to another. For documents, for example, some people like to just throw the documents into iCloud Library -- that way, those files are available on all devices (but this is not the same as "syncing," since there is only the iCloud Library copy).

For people who genuinely need to keep documents or other types of files that iCloud doesn't automatically sync up-to-date across multiple machines, the best solution I've ever found is ChronoSync from Econ Technologies. It's not free, but it is super-powerful and versatile.

OP
K
Reaction score
My iMac is 10.9.5 I forgot to update my signature. I have worked around the issue .

There is an intimidation factor sometimes on forums. I struggle with computers but work on race cars that go 300mph+ in the quarter mile, we all have our

specialties I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My iMac is 10.9.5 I forgot to update my signature. I have worked around the issue .

There is an intimidation factor sometimes on forums. I struggle with computers but work on race cars that go 300mph+ in the quarter mile, we all have our
specialties I guess.

I'm glad you got your problem sorted out, but it's a bit hard to try and help properly without proper input. Sort of like fixing those fast cars I guess.

And wow!!! That's fast!! Do they use big fast SSD drives? Must do to get those speeds.

I guess the next step will be to see if you can help get them to go further than a quarter mile. That doesn't seem to be very far for a car to travel. Good luck and success. ;)

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm glad you got your problem sorted out, but it's a bit hard to try and help properly without proper input. Sort of like fixing those fast cars I guess.

And wow!!! That's fast!! Do they use big fast SSD drives? Must do to get those speeds.

I guess the next step will be to see if you can help get them to go further than a quarter mile. That doesn't seem to be very far for a car to travel. Good luck and success. ;)

Actually it's NHRA drag racing and the engines at 8000 RPM producing over 9000HP on nitromethane have a very short life span. Plus they burn 15 gallons of fuel to do it.

Thank you for your patience and knowledge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, and having been involved with equipment and machinery for the most part of my life, I certainly respect those such as yourself and all the NHRA drag racing folks and what they do and can do.

I started to show some interest with drag boats many years ago, gee, almost 40 years by now, but it quickly waned when the costs became obvious and the 1/4 mile speeds were breaking the 200mph mark, so bailing out was an easy decision.

For some that might be interested but don't know what we're talking about can checkout some pages like:
Dirty Hero16 Mind-Bending Facts About Top Fuel Dragsters | Dirty Hero

And good luck and success with your cars — and your Apple Macs and iDevices. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.