Logging in to a friends e-mail account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have to log into a friends e-mail account for her. Normally done by her granddaughter, but she is away at university and our friend does't have internet access.

I would prefer, if possible, for me just to log in occasionally or will I have to creat an account for her on my machine. If the latter then a problem is that I will get all of the e-mail sent to the granddaughter.

A single sylable explanation would be appreciated if possible please as to how??

I am running Mavericks on a MacBook Pro 13 md 2009.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hi John

You should be able to access her email using a web based access. Most all email services have one.

It would help to know who the email carrier is. For example I have email accounts with Live (Microsoft) and Google (gmail) and also my work email. All three can be accessed using my browser (Chrome in my case but any will do). I can type in my browser " gmail " with out the quotes and it will show me a page where I can select gmail and log into my account.

The email carrier is usually who ever is after the @ in the email address - for example [email protected] or [email protected].

For some email accounts this might not work. For example my work account is tied to our business name but to access the web email I have to access the service hosting our mail which is not evident by looking at my email address. If that is the case you will need to know who hosts the email address and then a simple search should provide you with the web access site.

If you have more questions just ask. I am sure either myself or others on this forum can get you the information you need.

Lisa

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The amount of work you have to do depends on where this email account is. Is it a web baed (Gmail, Hotmail/Outlook, Yahoo) or something else?

Even if she was getting it inside Apple Mail, WHERE she as getting it from matters the most. Most websites that provide email also provide a webmail interface..

At the end of the day, using the webmail/online version of the email account will be the fastest..

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
My ISP is Orange France and my e-mail is @

wanadoo.fr. The friends' email is orange.fr. Wanadoo was taken over by Orange years back and we were asked to change to orange.fr, but as a boat load of people were loosing e-mails, contract listings and other things I opted to stay put. Plus the pain of informing everyone of the change.

I have just opened an Orange Fr page and it signs me in automatically. So I selected to sign out,. Being French and knowing better it just ignores the 'me déconnecter', but takes me back to the home page with a welcoming Boujour John!! Still signed in!! So very many French web sites are about as friendly as a cornered rat!

My browser is Firefox. Just as a matter of intrest I tried it on Safari with the same result. I love living here, but there are drawbacks, still nowhere is perfect is it??

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll have a look at that a bit later MG, thank you..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.