Löst password

Reaction score
Good morning All,

I bought a MacBook Pro 13Inch , OS X 10. 9.5 . software ( 13F 1066) a few months ago. I took my old Macbook that had the Mac Leopard XO system on it and asked the technician to download what we could over to the new Mac which has Maveric on it. My problem now is that I can't remember my password for the new Mac...going on line I see various advises , one to download it from the CD that came with the laptop, I never did get any CD with this new system...I however have my Leopard CD's. Will they work ? OR, did the mechanic just forget to put the CD's into my new Mac box ? My IPad didn't come with any CD, so the Mavoric might not either. I live very far out of town, so would like some answers before I make a long journey to the IStore I bought my Mac from. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You don't say, but if the tech did his job properly, your user password should be the same as it was on the old MacBook. Have you tried using it??

And from your 8:37 pm timestamp and Good Morning greeting, I assume you aren't in north america's time zone. ;)

But if that doesn't work, try a Google search and you'll come up with various methods you can use like:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=UFMjVbiSDeuCmAKL6oDoDw

and sites like https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=UFMjVbiSDeuCmAKL6oDoDw etc.

and maybe even Apple's site:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH14325?locale=en_US

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello - sorry for your problem. Mavericks (OS X 10.9.x) can only be downloaded and does not come w/ discs; when installed on a computer, a recovery partition is created which may help to regain password control.

This Apple Support Article explains some ways to recover from a lost password - now whether applicable to your situation depends on how your computer is setup, so give it a first read. If not useful, then take a look at this DISCUSSION - not sure how computer savvy you may be? So, if uncomfortable w/ some of the steps, you may need help from Apple support.

Hopefully, others will 'chime in' w/ more advice, but forgetting your 'admin' & 'user' passwords is just not a good thing to do - good luck. Dave :)

P.S. I have had no need to try to recover my password on my Macs, so have no experience w/ the latter link given.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks to bothRadDave and pm-R.

No I am in Malaysia. When I bought my first Mac the salesman who set the computer up for me didn't put any password in, said not to as it is such a bother....so I belived him , but a little later when I have asked on numerous occasions to have one put in the usual reply is just shaking of the head and that it is too much trouble . I will look at the sites you put down for me or I'll have to go to Kuala Lumpur to the head office and see what I can do, As it is I can't even install flash drive . Many Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, I'm wondering from reading your post as to whether you have an admin user password or not???

And BTW: I haven't used one for years with my home desktop iMacs — it's just blank, nothing,and just hit enter and works fine and is sure easy.

And yes, it's already behind three password enabled routers and a firewall. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks to bothRadDave and pm-R.

No I am in Malaysia. When I bought my first Mac the salesman who set the computer up for me didn't put any password in, said not to as it is such a bother....so I belived him , but a little later when I have asked on numerous occasions to have one put in the usual reply is just shaking of the head and that it is too much trouble . I will look at the sites you put down for me or I'll have to go to Kuala Lumpur to the head office and see what I can do, As it is I can't even install flash drive . Many Thanks.

OK - now I'm unclear as to your needs, i.e. your title stated a 'lost password', then above you seem to want to put in a password - the directions provided through the links I gave implied that you had a login password and have lost it - please clarify.

Now as to the advise given, login passwords are important for many, e.g. in an office setting, in a home w/ multiple users who have personal data, to prevent individuals to simply view the information on your computer, etc. Now if you're in your home and no one but you use the computer, then that may be another issue in considering not to use passwords.

SO, if you currently do not have a sign-in password and want one, then go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups and view the dialog box shown below (this is from my Yosemite MBPro w/ my last name blanked out) - there a password can be added, removed, or changed - tell us what this dialog box is stating in your case (or provide a screen capture if you know how). Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 11.17.31 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.