Locked out of iPad Air 2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
A few days back had a msg from Settings which had me set up fingerprint ID. At the time I thought that was an option so would still log in with my 4 digit passcode. I had no idea I would be stuck in having to use it when logging in.
Some background: My iPhone changed to a 6 number passcode about year ago. My iPad stayed on a 4 number passcode all this time.
On the new screen, there is space for 6 numbers now. Previously the iPad only had room for 4 numbers. But my passcode must still be those 4 numbers because if I try to enter more then the four, it won't accept it. Putting my thumb over the home button but nothing is recognized even after the 4 number passcode is entered.
So I am currently locked out of my iPad unless some gurus out there can provide a fix that does not involve visiting an authorized Apple dealer, Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Putting my thumb over the home button but nothing is recognized even after the 4 number passcode is entered.
The use of the finger ID is a bit tricky. Pressure, not to much, not to little, on the button to read, then a firmer press to open after it's unlocked. Look at the lock in the top center of the screen as you lightly press. It should shift from just the Lock to the Lock and the word "unlocked" at which point you may need to press harder to open the display. If it fails, it's supposed to then move to the keypad for the code. To use Fingerprint, it requires a six digit code, so you must have set one up. Without that, there isn't much anybody can do for you. Either the fingerprint works, or the code works. If neither is working, you are probably going to have to go to Apple with proof that you own the iPad to get it going again. (BTW, the code entry screen shows the number of digits it expects you to enter, either 4 or 6 or whatever. If you see six, it wants the six digit code. If you see four, it wants four. Four won't work on six.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand needing 4 or 6 numbers, but until I turned it on today, it was always just 4 digits. My iPhone changed over to 6 digits a year or more ago, but my iPad never did until now. I also don't remember making the iPad a 6 digit log in. The original 4 digit code was the same for my iPhone and my iPad. I just added two more digits for my iPhone back then. The iPad was always 4 digits until now. The 6 digit iPhone code does not work for the iPad. I still have the original box it came in and the receipt as well. Does it have to be an Apple store or can I take it to an authorized Apple service shop? Pete

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Pete,

I'm with Jake on this. Using the fingerprint option does require some skill - as mentioned by Jake. Couple of things to remember:

It must be the same finger. I know, I know, sounds so obvious, but people do sometimes forget which finger they used.

The finger has to be placed straight-on to the Home button, hence the number of times it asks you to do this as it builds up its database to remember your print.

For example, how were you holding the iPad whilst setting up the print? Maybe now, you're placing it on a flat surface with a different angle of the finger on the button - or vice versa?

And Jake is spot on about the 2-stage approach to fingerprint recognition - initial unlock, then open.

BTW when you do gain entry to the iPad, try this:

Settings > Accessibility > Home Button > Turn On "Rest Finger to Open"

What this means is that just by resting your finger on the Button, it will unlock, then open.

Another Tip: your are allowed up to 5 fingers to be recognised when setting up a finger print. What I do is name each one and have right index finger 1; right index finger 2; (Same finger, but done twice); one other finger, say Thumb twice; and finally one finger of a trusted person (your fingers might be burnt or your hand in plaster etc).

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a fan of fingerprint log on. Had difficulty with the iPhone and just gave up on it. Probably will disable that function on this iPad if i ever get it open. Can an authorized Apple repair shop reset the iPad or does it have to go an Apple store? Anybody know?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As far as I know, and I'm pretty certain, only Apple themselves can get your iPad open. And they need all the proof possible that you are who you say you are and that you own that iPad.

Have you tried some of what I mentioned - eg - holding the iPad exactly as you did when creating the fingerprint; trying to angle the finger differently and so on? Big problem getting Apple to do much during the festive season and COVID-19.

Sincerely sorry.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I understand needing 4 or 6 numbers, but until I turned it on today, it was always just 4 digits. My iPhone changed over to 6 digits a year or more ago, but my iPad never did until now. I also don't remember making the iPad a 6 digit log in. The original 4 digit code was the same for my iPhone and my iPad. I just added two more digits for my iPhone back then. The iPad was always 4 digits until now. The 6 digit iPhone code does not work for the iPad. I still have the original box it came in and the receipt as well. Does it have to be an Apple store or can I take it to an authorized Apple service shop? Pete
It didn't change to 6 on its own, you did, or you authorized it to do so. As I said, the Fingerprint requires six digit code to be set up at the time it is set up, so when you programmed your finger into the iPad, you set up 6 digit login. And whatever you set is what it wants now.

I don't think anywhere but a real Apple shop can unlock it for you. Apple has put all kinds of restrictions on unlocking iDevices as a protection against theft--an iDevice is much less attractive if the thief cannot actually use it and if would-be buyers know they can't unlock it either.

What Ian suggest is very valuable. Hold the iPad in the same orientation you used when you programmed it with your fingerprint and try varying pressures on the button. I find it easy, but my wife hated it so much we turned it off for her. IN any event, if the fingerprint fails, you should get the keypad to enter the code. But you need the code to get in, if you can't get the fingerprint to work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't off hand remember which update to iOS and iPadOS changed the requirement from 4 digits to 6 digits. But I do know that after an update on both my iPhone and iPad, it specifically asked me to input 6 digits.

I think what may have happened to Pete is that after an iPadOS update it required 6 digits and he may have complied and now perhaps forgot.

@pete: Rather than guess at the numbers, you can try resetting your iPad from the Finder or iTunes (depending on which macOS you're running). If it requires the passcode before resetting, then you have no other choice but to find an open Apple Store there in Vegas that you can make an appointment with.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all. I have tried various codes and also reorienting my thumb (I think) to no avail. Light, moderate or heavy pressure...nothing. I will have to go to an Apple store somewhere in Las Vegas. Again thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.