loading w8.0 to a Fusion 7.0 virtual pc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.5 GHz 16GB OSX10.10 Yosemite VMWare Fusion 7.0
Hope someone has some knowledge about downloading software to a virtual pc.
I run a 27" iMac but have need of one piece of pc software. So run vMWare Fusion - just upped to Fusion 7.0 . Tried to download W8.0 onto virtual pc with both firefox and explorer. Ordered etc but cart keep showing empty.
So called MS and was told that the software can't be downloaded to a virtual machine. Huh? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot??
I've obviously downloaded firefox, and quicktax and quicken and maybe others to run on virtual pc.
New iMac does not have a drive so I bought a 'superdrive' only to find out it is incapable of reading pc files only apple stuff - that was a waste so can't load that way.
Anybody got any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download Windows 8 to your downloads folder and point the VMWare Windows installer to your downloads folder and it should install it from there. Afterward you can copy the Windows 8 iso or executable to a flash drive and save it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Therein lies the issue. I am not able to download from MS to virtual machine.
Are you suggesting downloading to mac?
What do you mean by 'point the VMWare Windows installer to your downloads folder'?Sorry but not particularly computer savvy.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When you download Windows, download it on your Mac like you would any other application. When it's done, set up a new VM in Fusion and when it asks for the Windows disc/image, point it to the ISO file that gets downloaded.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm had been running Fusion4. Upgraded to 7.0.
Doesn't seem right that I would need to set up a new VM when one already exists. Am I missing something??

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm a little confused. Are you trying to upgrade Fusion and it's saying that it can't do it or are you trying to setup a new virtual machine? Are you trying to install a fresh copy?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've upgraded Fusion7.0 . It's working fine with wXP.
Now I want to get W8.0 and here is the prob. MS won't allow download to a VM. Superdrive not recognized by pc os.
Can I then, download W8.0 to mac download folder, move to zipstick, and load w8.0 from that to VM?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can I then, download W8.0 to mac download folder, move to zipstick, and load w8.0 from that to VM?

Download Windows 8 or 8.1 (preferred) to your Mac download folder and install it direct from there by telling Fusion where it is. After it's installed, then move it to a flash drive for safe keeping. And - make sure you do not lose your PID (product serial number for activation).

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I'll give that try this evening.
MS indicated that I should load 8.0 then 8.1 as I'm moving from XP. Sound right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I'll give that try this evening.
MS indicated that I should load 8.0 then 8.1 as I'm moving from XP. Sound right?

Yes, that's right. However, if you're running the 32 bit version of XP there is no direct upgrade to any 64 bit version of Windows. You have to install 8 clean and then upgrade to 8.1 (which should be free from MS). If you feel really brave, you can download the Windows 10 Preview since it's free but I wouldn't recommend using it for any kind of production software. :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any issues I should watch for/ be aware of when doing the fresh install.
Heard that there is a bunch of cr*p included that I should get rid of. All I really want is the os. I do EVERYTHING but for one software on the mac os
I've got the download and key for other software I want to run.
I guess all I need now is some time and ......................

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, spent ANOTHER 1 1/2 hours trying to download W8.0 to no avail.
I still get an empty cart, after 'add to cart' multiple times. Tried with safari, firefox. Cleared cookies, re-started browser - all the things the MS chat person suggested. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
Beginning to wonder why I set out on this. Oh, wait ..... my one piece of pc software needs more ram etc so........bought new computer ............... and well ..................
Geez, but I really do HATE having to do anything other than open and use my apps. Always seem to end up in a pickle of some sort. :(

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cshcag said'Download Windows 8 or 8.1 (preferred) to your Mac download folder and install it direct from there by telling Fusion where it is'
I don't see anywhere in fusion menus to do this other than by adding a new machine, which isn't really what I want to do.
What am I missing?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK so I've downloaded 8.1 to Downloads.
Begun to set up new VM, but the .exe file sold by MS store for download can't be 'pointed to' as it is 'greyed' so not available.
I try to open the file on a pc and immediately get the 'upgrade from 7 helper'. I thought I had purchased a 'fresh' version for install.
It seems that I need a dmg not an exe.
MS has been of ABSOLUTELY NO HELP. An hour on the phone resulted in two responses- either 'we can't help you with XP' even tho' I had faithfully purchased 8.1 for installation. Or ' oh, we don't know anything about macs or virtual machines'
So, how do I go about getting be a usable dmg or something?
Any help much appreciated.
Someone suggested

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK so I've downloaded 8.1 to Downloads.
Begun to set up new VM, but the .exe file sold by MS store for download can't be 'pointed to' as it is 'greyed' so not available.

You downloaded Windows 8.1 from Microsoft and the file is an exe file. That's how it's supposed to be downloaded. Now you say that Fusion refuses to use that file to install Windows 8.1 in a virtual machine because it's greyed out?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, in Fusion >New> I can choose install from disc or image, import existing or more options. I chose install from disc or image, >continue get choose an operating system disc or image, with no options shown. Select Use another disc or disc image > go to downloads, find the file 'OSGS14-WindowsSetupBox-32bitand64bit-English-4141408.exe'. Grey and not available.
Attached are grab images of the screens I see. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h19c6z87fi7gb75/AADG-ardqRzF_g0fxysvaqqNa?dl=0 (is there a way to post the images here?)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, Fusion does not offer to install directly from the MS download file. What you need to do now is run that exe file in Windows in order to change it to an image. (iso file) Do you have access to a Windows computer? If you do, run the exe and then burn it to an iso file. Microsoft should have included directions and also an option to receive 8.1 on DVD. Did you also order it on DVD?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an old pc laptop with XP. Copied download file to drop box from iMac. Retrieved on pc. Double click and get message 'Upgrade assistant can only be started from W7............' I get a link to a site for help and lo and behold am told by MS to take a flying leap (paraphrasing :) ) 'This device is running an operating system that we don't support '
So because I am running a system they don't support they won't me help load a system I have paid for that they do?? Now, there's terrific customer service. phhhhhhhhht to you MS
I have a pirate copy of MS 7. So, will apple Superdrive recognize a pc dvd? If so can I then use that operating system to set up new VM then upgrade to 8.
I'm very much between a rock and a , another rock? No idea what to do next.
All this just to run Quicken which I have been using long before moving to mac world. I have not been able to find a mac equivalent that I am comfortable moving to.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Have I gotten myself into.

btw the virtual machine I had been running is stuck in boot mode with none of the boot option presented doing anything other that returning to the same screen. If there so some obscure way yo solve this then ........ But sure seems like a bit of code has been corrupted. Is going back a few days in time machine even an option???? This is probably really grasping at straws.......

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Took the plunge and just started in with the entire process. In the end .... success. Installed W7 first, then 8.1. All in all a pretty painless process, once I got the courage. :eek: Should have just done this in the first place, but not knowing what I was getting in to .really hesitant.
Thanks for input. All helpful in the end, and much appreciated.
:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess all is well that ends well. Glad to hear you're up and running. Have fun. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.