loading ringtones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP | iPhone 13 Pro Max | 45mm Watch | iPad Pro 12.9 | iPad Pro 11
Hello all :)

I just got me an iPhone4 and have pretty much figured out the important stuff. I'm have three files I want to bring over as custom ringtones for a few of my contacts. in iTunes I have a ringtones folder under the Library section and another one under the device itself. both are empty. I try to put files there and nothing happens. I'm sure I'm not doing something right. googling is pretty much telling me to do the same thing but it doesnt work.

anything I'm missing in the process?

OP
pcdebb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you must have some special app to send it to iTunes like that. just clicking to play only does just that, plays the song.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

I create my own ringtones and use the following to transfer to iTunes and subsaquently create and put on my iPhone. Hope it helps.

Put your song on the desktop then and click it to play and also send it to iTunes.
Now right click on the song in iTunes and select "get info"

Go to the "options" tab

Type in start and end point ie (0:00 - 0:30) the tune cant be any longer than 30 secs then click OK

Now the song will only play that section in iTunes, now go upto the top of iTunes and select the "advance" tab and "convert selection to AAC" this will now creat a new file under the original song of the ringtone clip that you want.

Drag that new clip onto the desk top (or folder) and delete it from itunes library (this is important) select move to recycle bin.

Now go to the clip you have dragged and change the extension from "ringtone.m4a" to "ringtone.m4r" and you will notice the file will change and now be a ringtone clip.

Double click on the file and it will automatically appear in the ringtones tab in iTunes.

Reaction score
If they are in your iTunes can't you just upload them via GarageBand? That's what I did

Reaction score
i use SmartConverter or iConvert from the app store. the free versions work fine & they will do both video & audio. some of the songs i download come in video form & these 2 apps will allow you to change them to audio only as well. they both will also send them to iTunes. clicking a song on your desktop will only add it to iTunes if iTunes is your default media player. for me it isn't so this way works for me. also (i know its a no brainer) make sure your computer is set to show extensions so you can change to m4r. using oldscribe method, you can basically use any song thats in your iTunes just be sure to first make a copy & edit the copy.

OP
pcdebb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm coming from android so I have to get used to doing things differently here lol

will I basically do the same thing if I want to setup special sounds for notifications?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.