Loading Maverick over Mountain Lion…easy?

Reaction score
I'm not a techie but think I should load Maverick on my Mac Mini which has Mountain Lion. Easy? Do I need to worry about losing Thunderbird, or Safari?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not a techie but think I should load Maverick on my Mac Mini which has Mountain Lion. Easy? Do I need to worry about losing Thunderbird, or Safari?

Easy yes. Should you check your current app installs to make sure they are "Mavericks compatible" first…absolutely.

You certainly don't want to do a free Mavericks OS upgrade…and then have to spend possibly hundreds of dollars to upgrade apps to get Mavericks compatibility (if you don't actually NEED Mavericks for any particular reason).

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks! I don't have a ton of apps but I believe they should be fine. So, I shouldn't upgrade to Mav just because its newer than Mountain Lion?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, I shouldn't upgrade to Mav just because its newer than Mountain Lion?

Well…we could use the same logic with Yosemite. Yosemite is newer than both Mountain Lion and Mavericks…so why not just upgrade all the way to the newest Mac OS??;)

Also by the way. Unless you downloaded Mavericks previously. Mavericks is not currently available.

But to answer your question more directly. I usually upgrade my OS if:

- It has features that I must have.
- I have hardware that requires the newer OS.
- I have software that requires the new OS.
- Somehow the performance of the things that I do will be enhanced with the newer OS.

If I have no logical reason to upgrade. Then I stick with what I got (why "fix" what ain't broken)??;) If Mountain Lion is running smoothly for you…what happens if the upgrade to Mavericks (or Yosemite)…turns out to be a big headache??

Downgrading is usually not that easy.

This is just my way of doing it.:) Other folks like to "jump into the pool" with both feet!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.