Little help for new user

Reaction score
I'll start off by saying the last mac I owned was a mac performa 6300. I used a regular macbook quite a bit in abou 2005 and got along with it just fine. However, I am now at a school where I have to use a macbook pro that I purchased through the school. It's the latest 13" running lion. Now I get to my problems that I'm hoping somebody can help me with. There's just several little things that make the whole user experience quite distasteful for me.

1. The all gray all the time is simply driving me insane. How do I change the color scheme?
2. How can I make the scroll bar stay visible?
3. When I am downloading a file, how do I make it so I can select a folder I have on the desktop to deposit the DL into? Right now the most specific option it gives me is just to put it on the desktop.
4. Is there anything like the snap feature in windows 7? That is one of the features that for me really makes windows 7 a real pleasure to use. What is a simple way of selecting two different windows and making them split the screen, or making 4 windows split the screen?
5. Maximizing a window sometimes doesn't work for some reason. It seems like it is expanding to the length allows by the screen while staying in the same ratio the window was before. If it wasn't in the right ratio before maximizing it doesn't fill the screen.
6. I don't use iTunes, but a fellow student launched it on my computer and it imported all of the music I had on the computer. Now the program I do use, VLC, doesn't store the location of any of my music and needs to be told where to look each time I launch it. What the crap?
7. I switched the scroll back to the proper inverse setting, but it simply hasn't switched for all programs. I use Preview a lot, and it is still using the "natural" scrolling. Can I change that somehow?
8. Preview again. The stupid thing (or maybe it's more the computers fault) has corrupted many PDF files in the short time I have had the computer. I'll type in some notes during a presentation, save the presentation and then quit the program. The next day when I try to open it, it will not open nor will it open in adobe reader on a mac, in windows 7 or xp, or in Ubuntu or Fedora. Am I doing something wrong here, or is this just crap?
9. A couple of times now I have had powerpoint and keynote presentations that simply wouldn't open after I spent hours working on them. I was able to recover the powerpoint by throwing it on my windows machine and fixing them in there, but the keynote presentation was lost (really ****** me off). I don't make any presentations on the macbook anymore, which is really quite inconvenient. I end up making the presentation on my windows machine, putting it on a flash drive, and plugging it into the macbook when it comes time to do the presentation. What can I do about this?

Last of all, not really a thing that bugs me but a question about using an external monitor. I am thinking about getting an asus monitor, and using a real keyboard and mouse. Are there simple ways of getting the functionality of the swipes/gestures but using a proper multi-button mouse? Like if I use my old razer mouse can I program different buttons to take the place of a certain gesture?

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
That's not a little, by any measure. ;)
Assuming you're still sane, go to System Preferences > Appearance to change from Graphite to one of the other colors, um, well, to Blue.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
System Preferences, General Tab. There are 3 settings there for the Scrollbars.

See pic below.

It really sounds like you want a Windows 7 Machine and not a Mac. Just an observation.

Screen Shot 2011-09-25 at 5.52.03 AM.png

OP
B
Reaction score
System Preferences, General Tab. There are 3 settings there for the Scrollbars.

See pic below.

It really sounds like you want a Windows 7 Machine and not a Mac. Just an observation.

Believe me, if the campus tech guys hadn't expressly forbidden it I would dual boot windows 7 and be just fine. I'm not the kind of guy that will just bad mouth an OS or company. I don't take sides in the little tech war, I just use what I need to use and in my life so far that means I use Windows and I dink around with a few linux distros (big fan of open source).
I will say it is just unbelievably frustrating to get on this thing, and try to do something that I was able to quite easily figure out how to do by myself in a different OS and not be able to do it (especially after listening to so many friends and acquaintances prattle on about how easy OSx is to use).

So is there anybody that can help me out with any of my little "issues"? I had a friend of mine who was a self-described "mac power-user" try to help me. Turns out his idea of a power-user is somebody who knows how to use photoshop, and spends 10 hours a day on facebook, so I'm still in the dark.

OP
B
Reaction score
That's not a little, by any measure. ;)
Assuming you're still sane, go to System Preferences > Appearance to change from Graphite to one of the other colors, um, well, to Blue.

Thanks for the reply. However, all that did was change the outline color on any text bars. Is there no way to get rid of the gray? I understand apple likes there brushed aluminum but can I not choose my own colors on the software side of things?:Shouting:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you try what I show you with the Scrollbars? That makes them stay always on.

I found OSX very easy to use after 10-15 minutes and at the time I had been running windows since 3.0 and before.

OP
B
Reaction score
Did you try what I show you with the Scrollbars? That makes them stay always on.

I found OSX very easy to use after 10-15 minutes and at the time I had been running windows since 3.0 and before.

Yes, and thank you that did work. I'm not trying to rag on OSX and say it's just inherently difficult. It's just as easy as windows when it comes to 95% of what I do (which involves clicking on Chrome, or Word and using that). It's just that I like to be able to tinker with how things look and how I interact with the GUI, and it seems like that isn't the apple way. After asking you guys, and everybody else I know of who is an apple guy, I do believe I can't actually get rid of the grays everywhere. Yes, it is nit-picky, and not even a functional factor, but I want the choice. I want to be able to open the lid, and have an environment that is pleasing to me, that I can make my own, and it seems like apple just doesn't give me much wiggle room to customize.
Now that I've rambled on about things that really don't matter in the big picture, the more important thing is why do my powerpoints and PDF files keep getting corrupted? That is what at the end of the day has a detrimental effect on my ability to perform as a student.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.