Liquid Damage ... be gentle lol

Reaction score
Sooooo I spilled soup on my Macbook a year ago (yeah I know). I dried it out the best I could and it worked fine but then the battery stopped working so I took it ot the Apple Store and they replaced the battery. It worked again for about a day then it wouldn't turn on. (All this occured in about a week timespan). I wrote it off as a loss and got a Dell for Xmas.

Fastforward to last night, I tried to turn on the MAcbook (wishful thinking lol) and it started up and made the chime but it does not load the applications. It stays on but the screen stays blue and kinda blinks like it is trying to start up.

I miss my Macbook terribly but I really don't want to buy a new one. I don't mind spending $600 to fix it. But my question is do you think it can be fixed for that much?

I appreciate any input you guys have!O:)

ETA: When I took it to the Apple Store he did note the liquid damage and said it would cause problems in the future but he still replaced the battery.

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
Pop it open and have a good clean with q-tips and rubbing alcohol. You've gotta get that soup residue off the logic board before you go any further. Take a look at ifixit.com for instructions on how to disassemble it.

Without being able to take a look at the internal damage, it's tough to put a quote on the cost of repair. May be as simple as a cleaning; may need a new logic board and keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHZ 2gig RAM - 80GIG HDD - Bluetooh - Airport -MAC OSX 10.5
Sooooo I spilled soup on my Macbook a year ago (yeah I know). I dried it out the best I could and it worked fine but then the battery stopped working so I took it ot the Apple Store and they replaced the battery. It worked again for about a day then it wouldn't turn on. (All this occured in about a week timespan). I wrote it off as a loss and got a Dell for Xmas.

Fastforward to last night, I tried to turn on the MAcbook (wishful thinking lol) and it started up and made the chime but it does not load the applications. It stays on but the screen stays blue and kinda blinks like it is trying to start up.

I miss my Macbook terribly but I really don't want to buy a new one. I don't mind spending $600 to fix it. But my question is do you think it can be fixed for that much?

I appreciate any input you guys have!O:)

ETA: When I took it to the Apple Store he did note the liquid damage and said it would cause problems in the future but he still replaced the battery.

Fore the $700 - £350 you could buy a seconhand macbook and then use the parts or simply keep it!

?

OP
I
Reaction score
Really? Where the price range on Ebay seems to be $900 and up. I will look again though! Thanks.

I'm scared to open it :-x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.4, wife: iPad 16gb & iphone 3Gs, me: Macbook 2.6 & iphone 3Gs
Dont you have home insurance with laptop damage cover?

my ibook got trashed in the field and the ins co are bout to send me a cheque whih will cover the cost of a mid range macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Really? Where the price range on Ebay seems to be $900 and up. I will look again though! Thanks.

I'm scared to open it :-x

You can get a great macbook on ebay for about $700- $800. They are the 1.8GHz models however. If you're interested in one, be REALLY careful buying one off there. If you see "Item is sold as-is", run away from it...and FAST...
But yeah, unless you're a mac junkie like most of us on this, it'll be a P.I.T.A. to get that macbook apart and clean out every little resistor and diode. You're better off selling the macbook you have off for parts, and using that $600 you said you were willing to spend fixing up your macbook, plus the money you make on getting rid of your broken macbook (Probably around $300) and lookie, now you can get a nice, working macbook! Or, you could also sell that dell off and get an AWESOME macbook! I'm full of ideas...;D

Reaction score
I had a similar problem

I spilled soda on my macbook pro (lol) and went through the same thing as you. Turns out that tier 3 repairs out of warranty go at the standard rate of about $327. Unfortunately, liquid damage, as is your case, qualifies as tier 4 and will therefore cost you AT LEAST $1200 to repair. I thought that was crazy and would recommend that you just buy a new one and actually be saving a **** load of money considering all the upgrades.

Reaction score
i had one that did the same thing

you might want to do a clean install of the os...thats what i did and it did the trick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.