Line up-down in Word for Mac

Reaction score
I have upgraded my iMac operating system. In the Word windows there are up/down arrows in the bottom right corner. They used to move the document a line at a time, now they move it a whole page at a time. Can I reset it to move a line at a time?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of Word are you using? And version of OS X?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's an older version of Word (2008) of which I can't check since I'm using Word 2011. The arrows you're referring to also appear in Word 2011 but they're clearly marked "Previous Page" and "Next Page". Also from memory, I don't think that those arrows ever moved the page up or down one line at a time. Installing Yosemite would not have made changes to Word.

And if your version of Word is still at 12.0.0, you're way behind on security updates and general updates. Run your Office updater and get the latest updates for your copy.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Have now updated Word, and set up regular updates.

Prior to the upgrade I definitely could scroll up/down a line at a time in Word, using single-headed arrows in the bottom right corner. I have also seen versions with both single-headed (line by line) and double-headed (page by page) arrows. But after the upgrade it's a double-headed arrow, and I can't scroll line by line. Like you, I don't understand why or how it should have changed.

This is particularly irritating because I can't get the mouse to scroll by finger stroke in Word either, though it works on web pages. But perhaps that's standard.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You will need to update to version 12.3.6 at least. Quite a bit of downloading and installing. The .3 part repesents three Service Packs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
Don't the up and down arrow KEYS do what you want?

OP
D
Reaction score
No. In Word the arrows move the cursor up/down a line, not the whole page - unless you move the cursor to the top/bottom of the page, and then you have to move it back to where you want it.

But this seems to be a more general problem. For an anguished discussion, getting more anguished the further down you go, see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3196331

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.