Lifting and closing my MacBook Pro 13

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have a MacBook Pro 13 mid 2010 and so far it has given superb service. Just recently I have found that when I lift the top to open it I have to hold the main body to stop it lifting and when I close it to sleep mode the top will 'spring' back so that it is open by about 1/2" or slightly less.

I am concerned that this is the start of a problem and is there a simple cure for the problem. I am more than reluctant to start squirting lubricants into the hinge mechanism! So if anyone knows a cure for this I would be very thankful!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe in order to get that back to its normal working, it may require changing the hinges. I'm not sure if that's something you want to do or just live with the problem. I certainly would not try to use any kind of lubricant as that may cause more problems and possibly ruin your MacBook Pro.

The folks at iFixit: The Free Repair Manual have a procedure for changing the hinges. I know you're handy with fixing things. Take a look at what they say.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I've had a quick look through there Chas, thank you. It should only take about 10 minutes and be a dead easy job :eek::eek::eek:

Well, it is nice to drean isn't it? I will have a good look at the procedure and the costing. At quick look at the latter makes them inexpensive and I have got my watch makers 4 lb hammer :Cool:

Just as a matter of interest Chas it was my twisted sense of humour when I mentioned lubricating it 'onest.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay John, let us know how it went. :)

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure will Chas. Hinges ordered

Take care, stay safe!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I am concerned that this is the start of a problem and is there a simple cure for the problem. I am more than reluctant to start squirting lubricants into the hinge mechanism! So if anyone knows a cure for this I would be very thankful!

Yeah right, I really don't think WD-40 is going to fix that problem. :Smirk:

Are you sure that the problem isn't being caused by a swollen battery??

Does your MBPro sit flat and not wobble or rock on a flat surface???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The fix for this is much simpler than replacing the hinges.
What you do is remove the screws to the 2 hinges while the screen is in the most open position.
Unplug the screen from all related wiring.
Remove the screen from the top case.
Grab the hinges and open them all the way.
If they look dirty/dusty- clean them. Using a bit of lube doesn't hurt.
Then close the hinges past the original open position when you first removed the screws(this isn't real technical. You don't need to be exact).
After all that, put it back together.
The spring tension should now be reset and allow you to close the screen like normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After all that, put it back together.
The spring tension should now be reset and allow you to close the screen like normal.

That sounds pretty reasonable and makes sense for a fix.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a MacBook Pro 13 mid 2010 and so far it has given superb service.

"So far..." You've gotten 10 years out of it...you should be happier than a "pig in mud"! Lol

How many more years you expecting out of it?:)

- Nick

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, It doesn't wobble when put on a flat surface, but I do at times :'(

iggibar I assume that I would follow the same, or similar, procedure as the hinge change? What you suggest sounds like total logic. The MBP has been treated very well in its life but as I know from long experience dust and dirt gets in everywhere eventually. especially in moving parts like hinges.

Nick, I really like this model with the inputs it has, so why not another ten years. Anyway, it's only 9 1/2 years so far :giggle:giggle

Once again folks thank you for all of the suggestions !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not the gin Sue, but we have just had a delivery, I wish !

Sam Smith drey horses.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
iggibar I assume that I would follow the same, or similar, procedure as the hinge change? What you suggest sounds like total logic. The MBP has been treated very well in its life but as I know from long experience dust and dirt gets in everywhere eventually. especially in moving parts like hinges.

Yes, it's pretty much the same path you take to remove the hinge, but you don't need to take it completely off. The hinge will still be attached to the screen, but not to the lower chassis.I've gotten in the habit of putting a small drop of gun lube I have(Hoppes#9 lubricating oil), but any lube/oil will work just fine as long as it turn into a dust magnet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've gotten in the habit of putting a small drop of gun lube I have(Hoppes#9 lubricating oil), but any lube/oil will work just fine as long as it turn into a dust magnet.

Any of the handy sewing machine or men's beard shaver lubricating oils should work fine, and most have a handy application nozzle.

But I forget, I guess most Americans have some sort of gun oils on hand these days. :Smirk:

PS: Maybe one of the "Dry Lubes" available these days might be better and be even less of a dust magnet???

- Patrick
======

- - - Updated - - -

Not the gin Sue, but we have just had a delivery, I wish !

That's a beautiful shot!!!

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I forget, I guess most Americans have some sort of gun oils on hand these days.

Apparently so did one Canadian in Nova Scotia. :wink

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apparently so did one Canadian in Nova Scotia. :wink

Maybe not, especially from the way his brain was not working normally.

A very sad situation and many condolences to the innocent and victims.

- Patrick
======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now gentlemen, no sniping please :goofy:goofy;)

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a quick, overdue, update.

I still haven't got around to changing the hinges, BUT, since the temperatures have risen, 32ºC here today, the lid has been opening and closing perfectly well :Smirk:

So, I will wait until they drop again and see what happens? I have the new hinges, so if they do need changing I have a good range of calibrated watchmakers hammers from 4lbs down to 2oz so no problems expected :Cool::Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the new hinges, so if they do need changing I have a good range of calibrated watchmakers hammers from 4lbs down to 2oz so no problems expected

If those aren't enough, You could get what they refer to as a Harley Wrench!!! :D

ie: If the hammer is not big enough, or the part does not move, get a bigger hammer, also known as a Harley Wrench.

- Patrick
======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know. You could do it standing on yer head. well, you lot down there will be used to doing just that init already.

And the proper expression is "don't force it, use a bigger hammer"

I even know the correct torque fro the screws and it works every time.

Up to shear and back a quarter!

Talking about torque. Did you know that when an engine was changed in a Bristol Britannia aircrft the 4 bolts holding the engine were tightened using a hydraulic spanner. The bolts were hollow and had a small rod welded inside them with a loose washer on the open end. The washer was turned as the bolt was tightened and the correct torque was shown when the bolt had stretched and the washer was just tight and couldn't be moved. They were once only bolts and had to be thrown away when the engine was changed again.

Not-a-lot-a-people-know-that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.