life of pictures burned on dvd media

sak

Reaction score
i use sony DVD + R disks for backing up my pics , wut is the life of the dvd , how long it will last?
second q's is that i hv canon optura XI digi camcorder , how can i hook it up to my macbook to burn my movies (which are saved on mini dv tapes ) on dvds.
help wud be much appreciated.
regards
Sak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
According to the "Care and Handling Guide for the Preservation of CDs and DVDs - A joint Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) and NIST project" guide,

"Among the manufacturers that have done testing, there is consensus that, under recommended storage conditions, CD-R, DVD-R, and DVD+R discs should have a life expectancy of 100 to 200 years or more; CD-RW, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM discs should have a life expectancy of 25 years or more. Little information is available for CD-ROM and DVD-ROM discs (including audio and video), resulting in an increased level of uncertainty for their life expectancy. Expectations vary from 20 to 100 years for these discs.

"Few, if any, life expectancy reports for these discs have been published
by independent laboratories. An accelerated aging study at NIST estimated the life expectancy of one type of DVD-R for authoring disc to be 30 years if stored at 25°C (77°F) and 50% relative humidity. This testing for R discs is in the preliminary stages, and much more needs to be done."

Does your Camcorder have a Firewire cable?

OP
S

sak

Reaction score
thanx a lott....

quite an info about dvds, apreciate it .
this is wut my camcorder has

Firewire / IEEE 1394 / DV Terminal (input / output)

Connect your Optura Xi camcorder to your DV-compatible computer and discover a world of digital multimedia possibilities. Effortlessly transfer your digital movies to your computer's hard drive, edit your scenes, then use it to create movies that everyone will want to sit through. You can also create high-impact websites, video e-mail, or interactive CDs and DVDs.

, now wut kinda cable i need to hook it up?
i just bought one apple cable to hook my laptop to my tv that is mini dvi to video adapter ,
my camcorder has a s video port , so can i use s video cable from mini dvi adapter to camcorder to transfer the videos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.