LF - Free drawing Program like MacDraw

krs

Reaction score
I'm looking for a very simple free drawing program along the lines of MacDraw.

All I need is a way to draw simple dimensioned lines and angles.

Doing a search here on the forum brought up suggestions from 2015 and earlier - I'm sure there are better options now, and when searching on google "free" apparently doesn't mean "free" -it's either free for a 15 day trial which might be OK if the add is very simple to use and I can complete what I need to do.
The other "free" is a free download but then a subscription service which I definitely do not want.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Thanks - I just looked at SmartDraw
Subscription based - $9.95 per month billed annually.
This is $120.- per year every year - are they crazy????

Thanks, but not my cup of tea.

I have to check the current Bundle Hunt again, but I don't think there was a drawing program included.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Sorry, the open source alternatives were also listed in my link.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Sorry, I was a bit too hasty...let me check them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
Is this something you could possibly do in Keynote (free from Apple), with Export to JPG / TIFF / PDF?

In the old days - and I mean Keynote from Pages '09, not the iOS-ified, dumbed-down version that followed, we used Keynote to create simple animations and title graphics with Alpha channels for overlay on videos... :) Much more flexible and useful than people realized.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I was actually just thinking to try PowerPoint (or Keynotes)

Of the open source alternatives in the link above, Apache Open Office sounded like the most promising, but when I downloaded that and opened the Draw program, it turned out to be the same as Libre Office and the first thing I wanted to do - change the dimensions from cm to feet, had me stumped, even after consulting the help menu.

Trouble is that PPT or Keynotes I don't think let you draw lines of specific dimensions.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I think Keynotes may actually do the trick.
Unfortunately I can only select pixels, cm or inches as the ruler units, feet would have been better for what I need to work on - an area about 20 x 20 feet.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
On a hunch - perhaps you could use something like SweetHome3D? It's open-source, works in feet or whatever unit you wish to employ, and you can use it just as a 2-D planning app to add blocks, etc.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I have an entire Web site devoted to really useful free Macintosh apps that includes a number of suggestions

Thanks Randy, I will check them out.

I use Seashore a fair bit for simple clean up of images.
But I have not tried any of the others you posted.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
On a hunch - perhaps you could use something like SweetHome3D? It's open-source, works in feet or whatever unit you wish to employ, and you can use it just as a 2-D planning app to add blocks, etc.

Thanks - I had used that app years ago and it is still in my application folder.
However the name didn't ring a bell when I scanned the apps I already have.
There is a new fairly recent version I just downloaded - I'll try that

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
SweetHome3D is a bit of a strange app - at least not a type I have run into before.

When I download it, I end up with a disk image, ie a Sweethome.dmg file. So far so good.
Normally when I double-click on those it is suggested I copy that file to my application folder with authorization.
This time double-clicking on the disk image, a new folder opens with a bunch of different "license" folders and a SweetHome icon that looks like the type that will run through an install process.
But not this one - when I double-click on that SweetHome3D icon, the application opens ready for me to use.

Hmmm....

So next I decide I would rather have the app in my application folder rather than my download folder, so I try to move the icon app to my application folder. Now I need to authorize that (which is fine), but then when I try to open that app after it moved to the application folder, I now get the message - this is downloaded from the net - do you really want to open it?.....after I had already opened it several times from my download folder with no warning.

Somehow this doesn't seem totally kosher.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.