Leopard's Kernel Panic = Crash (in Windows)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Interestingly I just read a report from a journalist likening Leopard to Vista.

I thought it was bull, until he mentioned the screen going blank and a little window opening to tell me to reboot.

I didn't know then, that this was a Kernel Panic. Come to think of it, this has happened at least once a month since I've had this MBP.

Kernel Panic (Leopard) = Crash (Windows)

So, I've had at least 6 or 7.

So how many have other users had?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Interestingly I just read a report from a journalist likening Leopard to Vista.

I thought it was bull, until he mentioned the screen going blank and a little window opening to tell me to reboot.

I didn't know then, that this was a Kernel Panic. Come to think of it, this has happened at least once a month since I've had this MBP.

Kernel Panic (Leopard) = Crash (Windows)

So, I've had at least 6 or 7.

So how many have other users had?

1 in the entire time I've used Leopard - and that includes early-on with my previous MacBook Pro. I installed it the day it was released. Also, it occured when I was running a beta of VMWare Fusion, which has a number of background services, otherwise it's been rock solid stable.

If it's happening frequently, it's typically an indicator of faulty hardware (like a bad hard drive or memory module). You should run the Apple Hardware Test.

OP
brianwmay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good advice, I'll let you know the result.

I am over the moon with the machine and its software, but really hadn't likened the Kernel Panic to a crash, but it is one.

Having used Windows since it started, I am SO happy with Leopard (whatever faults it may have). XP was my favourite Windows by a long way but it still crashed at least once a month or thereabouts - for me anyway.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
2 on my iMac G5 caused by a faulty aftermarket 1GB RAM Chip. NO FAULT of OSX.

10 in a row Heavily modded G4 PowerMac caused by defective hardware. No fault of OSX.

Run Apples Hardware test. Something is wrong if you are seeing a lot of Kernel Panics.

OP
brianwmay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, Hardware test done (thanks, didn't know about that one).

No faults apparent. Will now monitor (academic interest really), no way I'm going back to Windows (I DO however run XP Pro as a VM in Parallels and it works nearly as quickly as my old Acer laptop did).

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
1 happened to me 1.5 years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.