Legacy 2006 Mac Pro upgrade to Yosemie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 4,1, 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD startup, 1TB HDD alt startup, 6 & 4TB BU
Ever since Mountain Lion when Apple conveniently told me I could no longer upgrade the OS on my Mac Pro, 1st Intel version with 20 GM RAM and 3 TB HDD internally I have left it at Lion along with my other two MacBook Pros. I did upgrade my MacBook Pro 13 yesterday, relatively flawlessly, but find it considerable slower than Lion both in booting and in operating. Nevertheless, I will go ahead with my other MacBook Pro 15 then try my Mac Pro desktop.

I understand that the boot rom needs to be updated and perhaps my ATI fast Radeon video needs to be replaced. What else can people tell me regarding this non-standard upgrade to Yosemite (I know...voids the warrantee, etc.) Any constructive experience/advice will be appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're willing to do the firmware updates, use of the "64 on 32" program, and other hacks needed to update the OS past 10.7 on early Mac Pro models…then you can update it to 10.8 or 10.9.

I haven't seen any info yet if someone has put something together to be able to install OS 10.10 Yosemite on early Mac Pro's (but I haven't actually looked very hard either).;) It's still pretty early since the Yosemite release.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Forgot to tell you? We have known that since using Snow Leopard OS X.6 Beta Testing! And be careful it has been known to convert Mac Pro 1.1 to big, heavy door stoppers.

OP
sailor#1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 4,1, 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD startup, 1TB HDD alt startup, 6 & 4TB BU
Thanks for the reply. What I do no want is another door stopper. Guess I'll keep looking on the web for info.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.