leaving Internet page open

Reaction score
Is there any reason why I should not leave a page open from the internet when putting computer to sleep? Or is this an ok thing to do? I use my email so much, I thought about leaving the page pulled up and not closing out of chrome before putting my computer to sleep. But I am not sure if I need to be aware of anything before I decide to do this.
Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I usually close all programs and web sites before I sleep my Mac but it shouldn't matter since everything will go into an inactive state anyway.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When I'm ready to quit using my Mac, unless I'm in the middle of a making a cloned backup, in the middle of a download or copying data from one drive to another, I just close the lid - I definitely am not in the habit of quitting any application when putting the machine to sleep.

As you see - personal preference really...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there any reason why I should not leave a page open from the internet when putting computer to sleep? Or is this an ok thing to do?

If you are manually putting your computer to sleep (choosing "sleep" from the Apple menu)...then no problems. But I have found that leaving certain programs open (like internet gaming apps)...or webpages that are "busy" (lots of recycling video content)...can prevent the computer from going to sleep on its own.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.