Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
After going through the experience I had with my
power mac g3. It is time to get a better understanding
of this favor of unix (Mac OS X). It appears to be a little
different, than IRIX, AIX and Solaris.

What would be a good book to learn Darwin?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

G

gatorparrots

Forum FAQ

I'm working on a Darwin FAQ sticky for this forum. It will have beginner resources and topical links as well. If your questions aren't answered by the O'Reilly material or in the FAQ, don't hesitate to post your questions/problems to the forum!

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Re: Forum FAQ

gatorparrots said:
I'm working on a Darwin FAQ sticky for this forum. It will have beginner resources and topical links as well. If your questions aren't answered by the O'Reilly material or in the FAQ, don't hesitate to post your questions/problems to the forum!

If you want I can probably answer many unix questions although I'm not sure what BSD 4.4 contains nor what the Mach 3 add ons are but I could sure look them up quickly.

I've been using AIX for donkeys and Linux in annoyance rather than anger for many years.

What would be nice from a developer pov is to find out just what the take up rate of OSX is, I would hate to create a masterpiece only to find 9 out of 10 Mac users can't use the **** thing. ;)

Amen-Moses

OP
rman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After working in Unix (Irix, AIX, Solaris, etc) for many years, I find that Mac OS X, is a little different in how it handle things.

Any help with OS X would be helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
After working in Unix (Irix, AIX, Solaris, etc) for many years, I find that Mac OS X, is a little different in how it handle things.

Any help with OS X would be helpful.

A little but it isn't too much of a learning curve by the looks of things, so far everything has been just like unix but easier! ;)

Since installing all the developer tools, X11 and stuff from a few other places it is starting to look more and more unixey, at least from the terminal it is.

The stuff that is missing compare to say AIX is stuff I can live without.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
btw if you have any specific questions then fire away as I may very well have had to find out the answer in my own climb up the curve, a climb which has been full of stumbles so far but no big falls yet.

I have the book Mac OSX V10.2 written by Brad Miser but that doesn't (even though it is 3 inches thick!) cover much of the under the covers stuff like development tools and the such like.

Amen-Moses

OP
rman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know what you mean, some of the so called Unix books are not worth the paper it is printed on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.