Lead in

Reaction score
Have new iMac. Using OS Catalina vers 10.15.6 Issue is that immediately upon getting the opening background, a computer voice starts reading the instructions which says
"You are currently on a scroll area to begin interacting with the contents of this scroll area, press Control-Option-Sift-Down Arrow" -----Followed by telling me to enter my password. After I enter the password, the operation of the computer works great.

How do I get rid of that voice-prompted series of instructions? The instructions show up as text in a window on the screen with double black lines around the box.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You have VoiceOver enabled in Accessibility it seems. The keyboard combination CMD+F5 will toggle this.

OP
G
Reaction score
You have VoiceOver enabled in Accessibility it seems. The keyboard combination CMD+F5 will toggle this.
I tried that. No joy. The first instruction which shows up as text and the voice reads addresses the Login window application

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I tried that. No joy. The first instruction which shows up as text and the voice reads addresses the Login window application

Have a look here and see if you have it selected as a login item:
System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items

If you do not want it there, Select it and Click the minus (–) Character and maybe Restart if needed. Command + F5 Should turn it off.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have the Voice Over option in System Preferences > Accessibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have the Voice Over option in System Preferences > Accessibility.

Use whatever Apple allows to disable the feature I guess and hopefully resolve the problem.

- Patrick
=======

OP
G
Reaction score
Use whatever Apple allows to disable the feature I guess and hopefully resolve the problem.

- Patrick
=======
Was able to cancel the voice over feature as instructed. Then restarted the computer. The same instruction showed up again in a dialog box on the screen
"X Login application software, password, scroll area" and the voiceover returned.
When I hit the X in the dialog box the voiceover went away and the next dialog box appeared which said
"X You are currently in a scroll area. To begin interacting with the contents of this scroll area press Control-Option-Shift-Down Arrow". When I hit the X again, the voiceover quits and the dialog box disappears, leaving me looking at the Lead-in picture of a rocky island.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Do you get a login window option, or is there a list of users? If you have the Dock and Menu bar at the top, then you are at your user Desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The island is Catalina, the name of the version of OS. To turn off Voice over, open System Preferences--you can click on the gear icon at the bottom of the screen, or click on the  in the upper left corner of the screen and choose System Preferences. Once the window opens, look for "Accessibility" in the icons. In my system it's in the third row, with an image of a man in a blue circle. Click that. In the resulting window on the left side you should see "Voice Over," click on that. Uncheck the box labelled "Enable Voice Over." Now you can click the red "X" and it should be gone. Reopen System Preferences, go to Users & Groups, click on the lock icon lower left, provide your password, then click on your account in the left column, then Login Items on the right side. Look at what starts when you log in. If you see anything you don't want, click it once, then click on the "-" box below that window and it will be removed from your login. Reboot. All should be well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may want to review all the Accessibility options on your version of macOS. It seems like something else may have been activated.

OP
G
Reaction score
The island is Catalina, the name of the version of OS. To turn off Voice over, open System Preferences--you can click on the gear icon at the bottom of the screen, or click on the  in the upper left corner of the screen and choose System Preferences. Once the window opens, look for "Accessibility" in the icons. In my system it's in the third row, with an image of a man in a blue circle. Click that. In the resulting window on the left side you should see "Voice Over," click on that. Uncheck the box labelled "Enable Voice Over." Now you can click the red "X" and it should be gone. Reopen System Preferences, go to Users & Groups, click on the lock icon lower left, provide your password, then click on your account in the left column, then Login Items on the right side. Look at what starts when you log in. If you see anything you don't want, click it once, then click on the "-" box below that window and it will be removed from your login. Reboot. All should be well.
That sequence worked well. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.